Same cider different clearing times - why?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made around 23 litres of cider from supermarket juice and kegged it on 12/01/2021. At the same time I also filled a 2 litre PET bottle. The cider in the bottle is crystal clear and has been for 5 or 6 days now but the cider in the keg is still densely turbid. A couple of days ago I drew off a small glass to see how things were progressing but left it on the kitchen window sill. Its now almost completely clear. This is a newly drawn glass next to the one from a couple of days ago
Cider.jpg

So my question is why are the bottle and glass clear but the keg isn't? And why does it go clear so quickly after being taken out of the keg? Its almost as if it doesn't want to clear in the keg, perhaps because I force carbonated it or its under pressure. Or am I just being impatient?

Another thought I had is perhaps the cider in the keg *is* clear but, because its drawn from the bottom of the keg its being pulled through a thick layer of packed down yeast. I have a spare, empty keg so I might transfer it to that in the hope that the majority of the yeast gets left behind. I'm new to both cider brewing and pressurised kegs so I'm quite happy to accept that I'm doing something wrong/not doing something I should be

A post script: As I suggested in my previous post, I transferred the cloudy cider into a spare keg leaving behind a lot of loose, almost liquid yeast at the bottom of the first keg. I also added some isinglass that I happened to have in the fridge to the second keg. Five days later its crystal clear.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why the clearing times are so radically different but as the cider now looks and tastes as it should I'm not going to worry about it

Latest posts

Back