Same wort - 2 different colours?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brewed a sort of Belgian Strong Golden Ale with honey, split the wort and fermented one with Mangrove Jack's Triple yeast and one with Crossmyloof Belgian Ale yeast. Both were fermented for the same time, cold crashed and conditioned for the same time, at the same time, in the same fermenting fridge. They were bottled on the same night, then carbed up in the same water bath at the same time.

How come one is blonde and the other amber? :laugh8: Both have a similar clarity.

It is disconcerting what a yeast can do. I have been sampling a split batch tonight, same yeast at different temps and different hops.
I wonder if the fermentation rate of different yeasts introduces o2 into the wort at different rates and effectively causes change in colour through different rates of oxidation? I can't think of any other reason for different colour from the same batch.

Could it be that one has a lot more yeast in suspension than the other (different flocculation properties)? I've often found that a bottle can go from amber when still slightly hazy to a more straw colour when properly cleared.

Sorry - just saw that both have similar clarity. Strange

Latest posts

Back