The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Callaghan

Reaction score
So I dont have a tap on my FV. What are good options for sampling from an FV which is only half full? I have a lawnmower oil change kit which has a big syringe and clear tubing, my wine thief isnt long enough and actually was very poor at holding any liquid when I sampled post boil. I want to avoid sticking my grubby arm in there as much as possible!

Thanks

A turkey baster or wine thief is the usual solution, however from the sound of your question, I'm guessing your FV isn't a bucket type, but something with a narrower neck. In which case I would just use your syphon tubing, as if you were bottling, but just collect sufficient for your trial jar. The lawnmower kit is unlikely to be food grade.

A turkey baster or wine thief is the usual solution, however from the sound of your question, I'm guessing your FV isn't a bucket type, but something with a narrower neck. In which case I would just use your syphon tubing, as if you were bottling, but just collect sufficient for your trial jar. The lawnmower kit is unlikely to be food grade.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I might buy some extra food grade tubing so I can use the syringe, perhaps just syphon it to be safe this time. Thanks

Another +1 for the turkey baster (not turkey blaster as autocorrect wanted me to say!)

Back