Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've brewed this recipe a few times, and those who've tried it, have all said it's very good.
It's taken from Clone Brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulski.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

For 23ltr final volume, 1.048 OG, 1.012 FG, 4.8% abv, recipe based on 75% efficiency.

In the tun (for 23ltr

4.13kg Pale Malt
0.28kg Crystal Malt
0.28kg Chocolate Malt
0.28kg Flaked oats *
0.14kg Roasted Barley

Mash at 66 deg c for 90 mins

* I toasted the oats in the oven by placing them on a baking tray, oven at 180 deg c. I turned the oats every 15 minutes and roasted them for 1 hour....you can miss this step.

Boil 90 minutes with East Kent Goldings giving 30 IBU
Whirlfloc tablet last 10 minutes
I used S04 yeast for my brews.

On my last brew I replaced 10% of the pale malt with flaked barley.

The pint

IMG_1400768x512.jpg

The difference in colour between toasted (left) and non-toasted (right)

100_2516408x308.jpg

Ok, thats just jumped up the 'to brew' list :cool:

How did the flaked barley turn out?

How did the flaked barley turn out?

Eskimobob put me onto the flaked barley as I hadn't used it before.
I'd say it makes the stout smoother, but I like both recipes equally...the only problem is that it's tooooo drinkable...seriously :drink:

So you'd recommend bowling straight in and doing a 60L batch rather than a 25L one :thumb:

Oooooh that looks nice.
Where does the flaked barley come into it as It snot in the recipe you posted V1.
Or am I just being thicker than clotted cream on a rather large scone

Where does the flaked barley come into it as It snot in the recipe you posted V1.

Flaked barley is unmalted, dried barley which has been rolled into flat flakes. It imparts a rich, grainy flavor to beer and is used in many stouts, especially Guinness stout; it also improves head formation and retention.

Eskimobob uses it in his stouts and the last time I bought some malt, we got a sack of flaked barley between us.
I used it in one of the recipes replacing 10% of the pale malt with flaked barley.

Yes

Firstly Oats contain a lot of Glucan . . . this is why they go really sticky when you make porridge (horrible stuff . . . Oats are for horses :D ) . . . The 35C rest is known as the Beta Glucan rest (Its also the Ferrulic Acid rest in wheat beers) . . . at this temperature beta glucanase is most active, and this chews up the glucans producing a runnier mash . . . try it, Oats in hot water at 35C . . . horrible mess to try and stir, same amount of oats in the same amount of water with 20% of the oat weight of Pale malt . . . its still a horrible mess to stir . . . try it after 15 minutes though and it will have loosened up . . . . leave it for 30 minutes, then heat to 65C and add back to the main mash). A big benefit of this is that these breakdown products contribute immensely to head formation and retention properties of the beer.

Luckily oats do not contain a lot of the ferrulic acid precursors so with any luck you won't get a clovey tasting stout ;).

As for blue cheese, I'm at a disadvantage here as I have a dangerous allergy to 'off milk' products, so have never tasted blue cheese, I also can't recall any mention of blue cheese at the tasting course I've done . . .must organise another one of those from Brewland damn good fun . . .

:lol:

Spill the beans....

I had a few problems with a 'blue cheese' type taste in my stouts a while back. The hops were fine.
I had a look back through my brewing notes and the only difference was the lack of a rest....can you shed any light ?

Thank for that Aleman ;)
I read Palmers site regards rests and that's why I binned it, as my oat proportion is lower than below.

The use of this rest is only necessary for brewers incorporating a large amount (>25%) of unmalted or flaked wheat, rye or oatmeal in the mash
Palmer

You could be in luck (depending on your viewpoint :lol: ) regards the blue cheese taste as I have a few bottles left of said affected beer .
I've been keeping them in the hope someone can identify the taste. I have a sneaky feeling I might be mis-identifying roast malt :oops:

Hello Vossy, I'm thinking of brewing this latter in the week on the yeast from my mild that is fermenting at the moment.

So the question is what should I do with the rolled oats, as far as mashing?

Hi p2, on my first batch I gave them a rest at 40 deg, not for their sake, I didn't want a stuck mash wuth the HERMS :roll: and I thought sticky oats was asking for one.

On the next 4 batches I didn't do the rest, and early on, the beers all tasted as per the first....delicious :thumb:

Many thanks there Vossy.

I have a big weakness for SSOS and I see it so rarely.

Latest posts

Back