Sanitiser help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I'm about to order and start my third brew (gonna step up to steeping, boiling/hopping etc) and need to purchase some sanitiser.

What do you lot suggest? I want something that is the easiest to use and the least contact time to do the job. Ideally no rinse. I have used SureSan for my two previous but from what I've read Star San (or equivalent) is the best to use. Am I right in thinking Star San type sanitisers once prepared can be reused for as long as it is at the appropriate ph level???

So long story short, minimum agg and maximum effect...... Also at a relatively decent price (if that is possible but not essential)...

A million thanks in advance..

I recently changed to EasyClean from brew2bottle. 10ml in 5 litres of water and the job is done after two minuets. No rinse and no sign of it in the finished product.

Afternoon all

I'm about to order and start my third brew (gonna step up to steeping, boiling/hopping etc) and need to purchase some sanitiser.

What do you lot suggest? I want something that is the easiest to use and the least contact time to do the job. Ideally no rinse. I have used SureSan for my two previous but from what I've read Star San (or equivalent) is the best to use. Am I right in thinking Star San type sanitisers once prepared can be reused for as long as it is at the appropriate ph level???

So long story short, minimum agg and maximum effect...... Also at a relatively decent price (if that is possible but not essential)...

I now use Milton Sterilising Fluid. Leave it for 15 mins then rinse. Cost around £2.50 a litre. Only a cap full required for 5 litres, a little less hassle than mucking about with granules.

Afternoon all

Apologies. 23 litres not 5 as mentioned in last post

Starsan I make a solution each time I brew 1ml Starsan to 1 litre water plenty to do what I need even on bottle day nearly 2 years now still on same bottle need one by January maybe

Cheers all....

I appreciate your time..

WW - Thanks for that. EasyClean is a StarSan style sanitiser I assume. The type of sanitiser I'm leaning towards.

S1546 - Thanks for the reply. I used Milton once my SureSan ran out. Although it's cheap it's too much agg (long rinsing process to remove the bleach smell) and contact time is a pain.

L - Good news. Why I'm gonna go for a SS type product....

I use StarSan type for small items, but I prefer to soak a pressure barrel in a chlorine type to eliminate odours. I don't think a spray will necessarily linger in the cracks and crevices for long enough. For and metal components I use an Oxi cleaner. It's horses for courses.

K - Thanks for the reply. I just need something that is easy to use/no rinse/minimal contact time (= I'm a lazy old sod). I just use a plastic fermentation bucket and auto-siphon straight to bottles. So something suitable for ferm bucket (and stirrer etc) & bottles.

Well, the StarSan or similar is perfect. Just get some pH papers to check it or mix only small volumes.

Afternoon all

Starsan for me, use deionised water not tap water and it will keep for ages. I bought a pack of PH testing strips to check it remains acidic and it sure does.

K & K - Thanks for the feedback.

I will go for StarSan. After some brief research not much actual StarSan is sold online. Mostly alternatives (I assume) such as ChemSan, Chemipro, EasyClean (which West Wind kindly advised above) etc. Are these suitable or should I continue my web search to source actual SratSan?

Chemsan user here - looks to be one of the most easily popular / available online. Simple to mix, needs no rinsing, and my understanding it is the direct / UK alternative to Starsan..... some folk might even mean Chemsan when they say Starsan.

STAR SAN is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid.
ChemSan A blend of phosphoric acid, benzenesulfonic acid and isopropanol

I think there are many similar products

Another vote for starsan/Chemsan - bit of a convert as I was previously VWP kinda girl. The not needing to rinse is a big plus of the ‘sans, and I can keep a tub of the solution next to me while brewing/bottling to keep things in till needed.

Anna

sounds like you've got what you need but just another supporter here of both chemsan, and easyclean from brew2bottle. I've used both (think they are the same formula) and both excellent. I found starsan harder to source but also v expensive. The no rinse element makes brewday/packaging so much easier and quicker, would never go back to anything else.

Definitely no rinse sanitiser. Why waste time, money, water and possible risk of contamination with rinsing? I'm seriously thinking of Star San, but at the moment I use 1.25ml Videne/Iodophor with 1 teaspoon citric acid diluted with 1 litre of water. This can be sloshed around or sprayed and has a contact time of omly 30 seconds.

I now tend to spray my stuff with alcohol after a few "band aid brews" which I put down to not rinsing the Oxy properly. Seems to do job and is much cheaper than any of these fancy Sans.

Latest posts

Back