Sanitiser recomendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Which sanitiser you found best?

I use chemipro oxi but some say it is a cleaner rather than a sanitiser.

Starsan mostly, and bleach on occasion, especially after a saison.

My supplier have this saniclean.

Is it any good? Does anyone use this product?

Attachments

• saniclean_fivestar_118_ml.jpg
    saniclean_fivestar_118_ml.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
My supplier have this saniclean.

Is it any good? Does anyone use this product?
That is the professional starsan that doesn't foam. I think it takes longer though...

SaniClean is the low-foam version of Star San. With a contact time of 2-3 minutes it is not as fast as Star San, but works as well. You also have to use twice as much, 2 oz per 5 gallons, for the same effect. However if you are using a pump it is the right choice. SaniClean is also known as a flavor and odor removal, making it the perfect choice for acid rinsing your dispensing equipment

Which sanitiser you found best?

I use chemipro oxi but some say it is a cleaner rather than a sanitiser.
I use Peracetic acid, used on dairy farms, which is great, but you need to be careful as it can give you a chemical burn until it touches water to dilute it.

The acetic acid is then non-rinse as it is absorbed by the yeast as part of the metabolic pathway of fermenting sugar anyway.

I’ve used star san, and now chemsan, as far as I can see they do the same.

Takes so much hassle out of brewing by using a no rinse sanitiser. A spray bottle full of it is really useful to have to hand.

@periolus, Agree! However, would you use it for kegs as a 'no rinse' - is there a risk of vinegar aroma?🤔

Anyway, It appears to be the brewery/dairy go-to with Caustic. The waste water can also be PH neutralised and used on gardens (as I do) great nutrition for plants.

Nipac for beerstone as a last resort. Chemsan Hand sprayer made up with bottled water (I have high CACO3 -300ppm) athumb..

Do not mix acids and chlorinated products:eek:asad.

@periolus, Agree! However, would you use it for kegs as a 'no rinse' - is there a risk of vinegar aroma?🤔

Anyway, It appears to be the brewery/dairy go-to with Caustic. The waste water can also be PH neutralised and used on gardens (as I do) great nutrition for plants.

Nipac for beerstone as a last resort. Chemsan Hand sprayer made up with bottled water (I have high CACO3 -300ppm) athumb..

Do not mix acids and chlorinated products:eek:asad.
Ah! I have only just started using Corny kegs, so what I did with my first use was dilute to 1:200 (minimum recommended) and then flush with water twice until I couldn’t smell it. Maybe I should have something else for the kegs!!

Ah! I have only just started using Corny kegs, so what I did with my first use was dilute to 1:200 (minimum recommended) and then flush with water twice until I couldn’t smell it. Maybe I should have something else for the kegs!!
No proxitane is used for most things in the brewery as a no rinse and doesn't carry over any smells of anything it is only active for one hour. Probably the most efficient sanitiser on the market. Rinsing after using is defeating the object.

Back