Sanitising bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashley

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm almost ready to bottle my first homebrew. All of the bottles I'll be using were cleaned with cold or warm water thoroughly maximum 30 min after use. Do I still have to use PBW to clean the bottle before sanitising them with Starsan? Also, I haven't invested in a Vinator yet so what is the best method of sanitizing the bottles. I'm thinking of simply filling a few bottles at a time with Starsan in the sink , leaving for a minute of so, before dumping the starsan back in a container and drying the bottles upside down.

Hi!
If you are confident that the bottles were rinsed out after they were used, you can proceed without cleaning.
I always clean first, even though the bottles have been rinsed after use - belt and braces!
Star San only takes 30 seconds to work.
I sanitise as I bottle - I pour a small amount of Star San from a jug into the bottle, give it a good shake, pour it back into the jug and then dip the rim into the Star San.
I sanitise 5 bottles, then fill with beer and cap before moving on to the next 5 bottles.
One key point - Star San does not need to dry - get the bottles filled as soon as you can after sanitising them.

Rinsing, no matter how thorough you are, always leaves a film of yeast around the inside of the bottle. Eventually it'll build up to pretty thick hard deposits.
I always rinse first, then fill bottles with a concentrated solution of washing soda. This totally gets rid of the yeast deposits and is very cheap as well, and can be re-used over and over again.
They'll still need sanitising before re-using though.

I'm with @Bigcol49. If I've rinsed out after use then a flush with Starsan before filling is all that I've ever done and never had a bottle bomb or gusher with this method. In fact I'm such a tightwad with the Starsan that I line them all up, half-fill the first one with Starsan then use a funnel to transfer the Starsan to the next while swilling it around...

I give the bottle a rinse immediately after pouring and later that night or the following morning, a good rinse in hot water. Upside down to drain a bit, 6or8 squirts of diluted starsan from a skooshy bottle, lid on, shake. On bottling day just pour the starsan out and fill with beer. Easy. Never had any issues. I realise most people go a lot further than this with cleaning and sanitising but until I get gushers or bombs I'll stick with this routine.

I have just started using glass bottles and intend to do the same with these. I know pushing the cap back on doesn't seal right but I think it should be ok if well wrapped inside a bag. Maybe using the capper to recrimp the used cap will provide enough of a seal, I'll find out tonight.

When bottling last week with glass bottles, i had to give them a proper clean as they'd been in the shed for up to a year and were full of spiders and badgers what not. It was a nightmare and i will avoid it all costs in future.

When bottling last week with glass bottles, i had to give them a proper clean as they'd been in the shed for up to a year and were full of spiders and badgers what not. It was a nightmare and i will avoid it all costs in future.

I would just get new ones hihi.
But in the Netherlands we have a deposit refund system for the beer bottles, so basically get them free. And when they are too dirty I just give them back and get fresh ones.

I rinse the bottles well after use. After using them a few times I subject the bottles to a bath of chemipro caustic (caustic soda, with active chloride basically) to remove beerstone.
Right before bottling I just spray the in and outside of the bottle with Star San. I wait a few minutes and turn them upside down in the crate. Then I just bottle.

Latest posts

Back