Sanitising burco/grain bags

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
Hey

I'm hopefully going to try an AG in a burco I've aquired recently.

Do I need to sanitise the boiler before use as well as the grain bag, or does the fact that I'll be boiling the wort in the boiler cover that?

How does anyone else cover this? And do you drain the wort through the burco tap, or do you siphon out? I'd imagine using the tap would help with aeration..

Many thanks!

Everything including the wort and kettle is sanitisedduring the boil so you dont need to worry about that.

I dont own a burco but I dont think you'd need to use a syphon. Just use the tap. You may need to use a bazooka or somthing similar to filter the hop debris out but I'm not entirely sure about that. Someone who actually owns a burco will be able to tell you

Thank you... Looking forward to getting this Doom Bar clone on the go.

I have burco with bazooka fitted. Generally still need to scrap **** off it when emptying as flow slows so have a long spoon ready.

I rinse my boiler out with a kettle of boiling water before filling. Probably not necesary but at least the tap gets a rinse through with boiling water as they are noteable gunk traps. If you're going to chill in the boiler I'd definitely do it.

I spray around the top area of the boiler where the wort won't reach with Starsan then just drain it out and get cracking. While the water's heating up I boil my grain and hop bags for 5 mins in a pan on the hob to try to keep the stains under some kind of control. It's surprising how filthy the pan water is after just a 5 minute boil.

Latest posts

Back