Santa Fe High School: Up to 10 dead in shooting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here we go again this is the tenth mass shooting in three months.

Between eight and 10 people have been killed in a shooting by a student at a Texas high school, say police.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez told reporters the majority of the dead at Santa Fe High School were students.

The suspect in custody has been identified as 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, according to CBS News.

Police said that explosive devices had been found at the school, which is 40 miles (65km) south of Houston, and in surrounding areas.

The death toll makes this the deadliest school shooting since the one in February at Parkland, Florida. That attack left 17 dead and spawned a nationwide youth-led campaign for gun control.

Santa Fe Police Chief Jeff Powell said: "There have been explosive devices found inside the high school, and in the surrounding areas adjacent to the high school."

He advised residents to be aware of any suspicious objects they find.

"Do not touch any items that look out of place," he said, warning residents to immediately call police.

He said a Santa Fe school police officer was among the injured.

Two hospitals south of Houston said they had received nine patients from the school shooting.

Clear Lake Regional Medical Center said it admitted seven, and Mainland Medical Center received two.

Several students described hearing a fire alarm go off shortly before 08:00 local time. It is not clear how the alarm was activated.

One witness told KTRK-TV the shooting happened in her art class, and that one person shot was a girl.

"There was someone that walked in with a shotgun and started shooting," the student said, "and this girl got shot in the leg."

She said that she did not get a look at the shooter, because she ran to hide.

BBC News.

Last edited:
https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/texas-high-school-shooting-suspect-identified/

Aleged perpetrator although another person is in custody.

Trench coat, army boots and a tshirt saying born to kill.

Myself, I enjoy shooting, have had an air rifle since I was 11 and have regularly attended a rifle range here in the UK with a friend, who has all the tickets, on the ranges guest days.

Also pretty good at clay pigeon and skeet. Being doing it since the age of 25. (Real guns that is)

Gun control is not going to solve anything I'm afraid. If someone has the will and intent to do harm to others, they will.

And coming from a city like Birmingham, famous for gun manufacturers and of late, gun crime it's more likely that the illegal firearms are involved than the legal ones.

In America this is a touchy subject. What with second ammendments and all.

Personally I felt that the lessons given to me by my father and later in life my friend and his other shooting buddies that a gun and what you do with it has lethal actions and you need to be prepared to accept responsibility for the outcome of every shot you fire.

I'm in no way condoning this person(s) actions I'm just saying that gun control or not. If they want a gun that bad, there's someone out there willing to sell them one. Be it legal or illegal.

Edit for predictive text and grammar

https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/texas-high-school-shooting-suspect-identified/

Aleged perpetrator although another person is in custody.

Trench coat, army boots and a tshirt saying born to kill.

Myself, I enjoy shooting, have had an air rifle since I was 11 and have regularly attended a rifle range here in the UK with a friend, who has all the tickets, on the ranges guest days.

Also pretty good at clay pigeon and skeet. Being doing it since the age of 25. (Real guns that is)

Gun control is not going to solve anything I'm afraid. If someone has the will and intent to do harm to others, they will.

And coming from a city like Birmingham, famous for gun manufacturers and of late, gun crime it's more likely that the illegal firearms are involved than the legal ones.

In America this is a touchy subject. What with second ammendments and all.

Personally I felt that the lessons given to me by my father and later in life my friend and his other shooting buddies that a gun and what you do with it has lethal actions and you need to be prepared to accept responsibility for the outcome of every shot you fire.

I'm in no way condoning this person(s) actions I'm just saying that gun control or not. If they want a gun that bad, there's someone out there willing to sell them one. Be it legal or illegal.

Edit for predictive text and grammar

Go and take yourself for a walk through Saltley, Alum Rock or Lozells and ask yourself whether you would want the locals to have less restricted access to guns.
No doubt illegal guns are there in the hands of gangs or in caches such as the one found in Nordrhein-Westfalen but anything that lessens the availability of guns is a good thing in my book.
Can you even imagine what Britain would be like if every jihadi nutjob had access to guns?

No doubt illegal guns are there in the hands of gangs or in caches...

So if nutters want a gun. They will get them. let's make guns illegal.

That will show em

Compare and contrast the level of gun crime in the US with that in Western Europe, Japan, Australia or New Zealand.
Easy access to guns comes at a price.
Obviously, more guns = more gun crime but he US also has a much higher overall rate of homicide than any of the countries listed above.
Overall rate of violent death are also much higher in the US.
"It's just the blacks" is a favourite US gun nut argument along with "it's only the cities" and gun loving white rural America is supposedly safer than the UK is another - but if either of those arguments held any water, how do you explain Montana? The whitest and most idyllically rural state in the union has a murder rate that is four times that of the UK.
Home defence arguments don't work either, because you or your loved ones are more likely to die a violent death if you have a gun in your home than if you don't.

I saw a statistic today which i need to check because, if true, it shows how bad things are:
You are statistically more likely to be shot and killed attending high school in the US than being on active service in the US armed forces

@Pavros I saw that too, it was that there have been more deaths in schools this year than in the military, which isn’t quite the same thing as ‘more likely’, but I’m very much in agreement with the spirit of your post!

Latest posts

Back