Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I haven't drank mild in 50 years but this beer fascinates me as its called Mild but can be 6% ABV whereas I thought the definition of a Mild was between 3.1% - 3.8%. Has anyone made GW recipe and could they recommend it to a non Mild drinker.
Thanks CC

Wheelers recipe is excellent. I think the strength dates back to the years when all milds were that sort of strength.

I've drunk the real stuff and it's very nice. I understand (but I might be wrong) that mild refers to mildly hopped rather than bitter. I've looked over some recipes in the Durden Park guide to Voodoo Charms and all Things Wildly Intoxicating, and a lot of the beers that could be categorised as mild come out at higher than 6%. I think Greg Hughes has a recipe for a lightweight version.

I've drunk the real stuff and it's very nice. I understand (but I might be wrong) that mild refers to mildly hopped rather than bitter. I've looked over some recipes in the Durden Park guide to Voodoo Charms and all Things Wildly Intoxicating, and a lot of the beers that could be categorised as mild come out at higher than 6%. I think Greg Hughes has a recipe for a lightweight version.
I was really surprised that the recipe didn't have a late addition of slops.

Originally "mild" was the opposite of "stock" - in other words mild beer was the fresh beer that was originally mixed with old beer, in a process similar to Greene King's Strong Suffolk. So it was mild in the sense of "mild cheddar", but alcohol-wise it was in the 7-9% range.

Then after fashions changed in the late 19th century so that most beer was sold "fresh", it came to mean mildly-hopped, typically about 2/3 of the hopping of bitter.

Then after anti-alcohol politicians reduced strengths across the board during WWI in particular, people assumed it meant mild in alcohol.

It's interesting to compare the fate of mild and IPA - both have seen significant reductions in strength since the 19th century so that the likes of Greene King and Boddies are "true" modern IPAs, but we assume the low-ABV incarnation is correct for mild, and the older high-ABV incarnation is correct for IPA.

In fact Sarah Hughes is rather weak by the standard of Victorian milds.

The last time I drank Mild it was 1/8 a pint , I was 17 and had 6 pints for 10/- which is 50p and even at 17 had no affect on me. Haven't drank it since but I will make the Sarah Hughes mild.

The last time I drank Mild it was 1/8 a pint , I was 17 and had 6 pints for 10/- which is 50p and even at 17 had no affect on me. Haven't drank it since but I will make the Sarah Hughes mild.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I brew two milds regularly and try to keep them below 4% for when I'm in the mood for swilling ale with a flagon in each hand. The best mild I've ever had was Elgood's Black Dog at a beer festival.

You've just inspired me to go and pour one of my own. Went down in one and the rest of the litre is sitting there in the glass. 3.5% and full of flavour. Cheers. acheers.

I haven't drank mild in 50 years but this beer fascinates me as its called Mild but can be 6% ABV whereas I thought the definition of a Mild was between 3.1% - 3.8%. Has anyone made GW recipe and could they recommend it to a non Mild drinker.
Thanks CC
The brewery tap The Beacon is about 5 miles from me but without a driver it might just as well be 50. A relative of mine made the same assumption as you about strength but did not check. After downing one his senses gave him an indication and unfortunately he faced the prospect of driving 15 miles home. He has not been back since.

The brewery tap The Beacon is about 5 miles from me but without a driver it might just as well be 50. A relative of mine made the same assumption as you about strength but did not check. After downing one his senses gave him an indication and unfortunately he faced the prospect of driving 15 miles home. He has not been back since.
There's at least one bus that goes right past the door, runs on a route that includes Coseley station. I'm also still keeps old fashioned pub hours, at least during the week - closed in the afternoon.
I've been a couple of times, think the DRM is sublime! Also love the rolls - cheese or "special" (cheese & onion 😊).

There's at least one bus that goes right past the door, runs on a route that includes Coseley station. I'm also still keeps old fashioned pub hours, at least during the week - closed in the afternoon.
I've been a couple of times, think the DRM is sublime! Also love the rolls - cheese or "special" (cheese & onion 😊).
Thanks. I've just hatched a plan for when my wife next goes off playing golf for a couple of days!

I make this beer regularly as well, six or seven times now. It's a great drink and altogether different to a modern pub mild.
I've also shifted the strength from ~5% to 6.7%. It tastes good throughout the range but probably best to keep to 5.7 to 6.0%.

Latest posts

Back