Scalping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Aye, a word often we see these days pertaining to computer parts - namely graphics cards and chippaggedon. But what I have noticed of late is that some scalpers are moving on to pieces of homebrew kit and selling them at inflated prices - just like anything else they wanna inflate the price of these days. Be careful out there. If need be, do more of a thorough search for your gear and don't get conned =)

I've spent months stalking the internet for a replacement pair of shoes to my Merrell moc slip ons...bending/tying laces etc is a PITA with my hip so for round the house and back and to to work where I change footwear I got the slip ons to make things easy...the current pair I paid £44 (RRP about £94/direct from Merrell),everywhere either sold out or charging £70+ for the size and colour I want. Mine are worn out after 6 years so I was desparate for a new pair...I check every day.
Last night before going to sleep I checked...and there they were! £44.89!
So, as said...KEEP CHECKING!
Yes,J know... I'm a tightarse!

I see a lot of this in my trade these days. People get machines and equipment, really inflate prices and sell them on to new people in the trade.

I suppose it’s always gone on in some form or another. It catches people out though.

Retail and wholesale arbitrage has been big business for years.. People make loads off gumtree Ebay and Amazon the like doing it..

CLothes wax melts the lot people whole sale buy things for pennies and them arb them to another platform.

But Xbox PS5 and now GPUs are becoming big business not hepled by bitcoin miners saturating the market and ashortage of silicon

Retail and wholesale arbitrage has been big business for years.. People make loads off gumtree Ebay and Amazon the like doing it..

CLothes wax melts the lot people whole sale buy things for pennies and them arb them to another platform.

But Xbox PS5 and now GPUs are becoming big business not hepled by bitcoin miners saturating the market and ashortage of silicon

Yea, but you gotta identify this! The GPU thing is holding up the whole market in people upgrading their pc's - especially for gamers. But now I start to see it in the homebrew market, which imo is a bit late on the train. That's taking the pizz. People aren't buying those GPU's in droves so the scalpers are looking at other markets to make money. I expect this to be a thing whle the pandamic has and continues its duration. Two weeks ago a grain basket on wish.com £25 + 4 delivery. Now £60, and across the board on different platforms that is the flat rate price although I know one place I can get it much cheaper. But I am not saying where because I know what will happen - well until I have my grain basket in a week or so then I'll say where I got it cheaper. Expect this to happen to cornie kegs and pressure barrels too. Perhaps Burco and niche all grain pots with that. These mfer's, greedy lil %^&%^&%^& I hate them. Period.

I've spent months stalking the internet for a replacement pair of shoes to my Merrell moc slip ons...bending/tying laces etc is a PITA with my hip so for round the house and back and to to work where I change footwear I got the slip ons to make things easy...the current pair I paid £44 (RRP about £94/direct from Merrell),everywhere either sold out or charging £70+ for the size and colour I want. Mine are worn out after 6 years so I was desparate for a new pair...I check every day.
Last night before going to sleep I checked...and there they were! £44.89!
So, as said...KEEP CHECKING!
Yes,J know... I'm a tightarse!

Tightarse? lol no, I'd be looking for even cheaper moc slip ons if that was my thang. Names mean nothing to me, especially after said item is worn and in the bin ;)

I see a lot of this in my trade these days. People get machines and equipment, really inflate prices and sell them on to new people in the trade.

I suppose it’s always gone on in some form or another. It catches people out though.
Yea but talking about taking the pizzz. This is a pandemic fgs and peeps really wanna scalp money of those that need it most? You are right, this has been going on for years. Especially with things like baby clothes, fashionable items (ie fake rolex etc) and a number of other things. But never, ever, ever has it been so obvious what these people have been trying to do save for when this pandemic started. It's down right disgusting. But I need to make money to pay for my cheap ass daily pizza delivery!!!! The scalpers are nothing but a tick bug off a working man's back. If you hate people on the dole, then these people are even worse than that. They'd rob your home if you let them. Effing pond life.

What does this mean?

Sorry bad punctuation on my part.

You can whole sale bulk buy items such as clothes, wax melts , well pretty much anything which has a potential margin on it and sell it on something like amazon or ebay for a profit.

If you are organised and have the storage you can make a good business out of it

Arb as in Arbitrage.

You see things like this in shows like teh apprentice they go bulk buy things and sell things on.. the trick is to know what and where the profit it.
GPUs because of the demand as someone said it is so hard to get one and people are buying them at every opportunity.. not to have them but so they can arb /scalp them for a silly price because real people desperate for them are willing to pay that premium.

You can whole sale bulk buy items such as clothes, wax melts , well pretty much anything which has a potential margin on it and sell it on something like amazon or ebay for a profit.
Is that not what CML do basically with their yeasts? On the plus side they seem to be selling at half what the big boys are doing.

Amazon actually won't allow retail arbitage on their platform. They quite often demand to see proper invoices, especially from new sellers. If they get a whiff of dodgy receipts from the likes of alibaba etc., or doctored invoices you can get suspended pretty quickly.
Still doesn't stop the "race to the bottom" by some new sellers jumping on to make a quick buck by constantly undercutting established sellers...

I dunno maybe they do do that. But I have to say I do think personally CML yeast quality is very questionable on a lot of their ranges. So I am not sure its just margin
That’s interesting.
Personally I have not had any issues with CML yeast. Though I have read that others have had issues, like yourself.
I have only used there Belgian and Wheat yeasts. Both seemed to produce a good final product. I will sample a few more and see how I fair before I commit to a final verdict on CML.

I don't get the hatred here, buying in bulk and selling on for profit is what all businesses do if you don't want to pay the asking price don't.
I agree with this.
Look at the old corner shop for instance. The owner would go to ‘Booker’, or some other large wholesale outlet and purchase stock in bulk to retail at a profit. This has been going on for years.

I don't get the hatred here, buying in bulk and selling on for profit is what all businesses do if you don't want to pay the asking price don't.

Nothing wrong with Arbitrage at all. Buying bulk stock and selling on its a good honest work and there are many ways to do this.

What I think people don;t tend to like or take a dim view is when there are such a limited stock of things people try and drain every last item and then sell for a big profit.
I know at xmas my work colleague bought 10 Xbox Series X and 10 PS5s and sold them all on for double knowing most people would get them despeartley for xmas presents.. some would say its a bit unethical some say its good smart business..

Sorry Rich he took a gamble laid out a lot of money at 500 pounds per console he could have ended up stuck with them, I blame those who have to have every new thing today if they have more money than sense they deserve to have it taken from them in huge amounts.

The hatred is that these peeps are buying at RRP and inflating at sometimes 10x their MSRP. They have bots that snap them up at these inflated prices. Peeps can't buy a decent working new pc because there are no GPU's to buy at the retail price.

And it's not that simple Chippy. This practice has even spread into the used GPU market. Say for example my GTX 960, which is donkey's years old. I bought mine from China at £40. Six years later it's now selling at 3x that value. It's insane!

Ususally with scalpers there are other things they don't touch leaving at least the consumer some choice. Right now there is no choice. There's no way I'd pay £3k for a GPU while the rest of the parts cost me just under £500. These scalpers are not going wholesale but targetting retail. There lies the rub. Which is why the hatred too. And it's spreading to other essential items in other areas.

Crypto is the main reason GPUs are going for silly money. there will obviously be scalping in that, but the main market are huge crypto farms and all associated smaller farmers. It isn't going to stop for a while too.

Back