Scam phone calls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed if I buy anything through comparison websites, those calls increase. Now I just type my landline number and set a voicemail message , as by default we don't pick up land line calls. All our friends and family call our mobiles or use emails
If you are filling in a form on a website and it is mandatory to enter your phone number then use this http://www.truecall38.co.uk/

You are missing out. You should have some fun instead. I always play along with them for a laugh.

The last one I had a span them a yarn that we shared the broadband with 20 other houses and would need to get the person who payed the bill and left then hanging for a while. They were still there when I picked it back up. For others I have played a bit simple (easy for me😁) and start taking to them about this and that of no relevance.

I don't get many but whenever I do such as you've been involved in an accident - I ask what details do you have? - they put the phone down.

Last edited:
A work colleague used to deal with nuisance calls, when someone was on the other end of the line by asking them, in his best pervy voice, “What you wearing”. It got rid of most callers almost immediately.

Did she seek consent from the landlord (Council) before going ahead with the installation?

I feel a bit sorry for the people on the end of the phone you would have to be fairly desperate to do the job in the first place and I imagine they get a lot of abuse, it's not them that phone you 5 times a day it's a computer they are only there to answer calls that are picked up, if your service provider doesn't offer a means of stopping them and you are getting a lot of cold calls you could buy something like true call TrueCall Call Blocker | eBay

More about true call in post #40.

Last edited:
We bought a BT 4600 Premium Nuisance Call Blocker for £55 from Currys. It came with two handsets and an answering machine, and we haven’t had to answer a rubbish call since. Highly recommended.

BT
BT’s Call Protect automatically diverts calls that BT believe to be from nuisance callers to customers' junk voicemail boxes and also allows people to compile a personal blacklist of numbers they wish to block. You can then supplement this by also sending all calls from certain types of numbers (international, withheld and unavailable) to the voicemail service. Call Protect is a much more powerful tool than some of BT’s other call features, such as Choose to Refuse, which only lets you block 10 specific numbers, and Anonymous Call Rejection, which just stops calls from people who have withheld their number. And while you have to pay for both of these (£5.50 and £6.50 per month, respectively), Call Protect is free. So if you’ve not signed up for it you should do so, especially if you’re wasting money on the other two inferior options.

Read more: How to block nuisance calls - Which?

Last edited:
For what its worth i used to get loads from Indian call centers. After having some fun with them i got my number changed but here is the thing. Virgin wont give you a new number, you end up with someones old one. Next i was getting calls from Spain. Very expensive calls too. I would use a VOIP phone if we didn't have mobiles.

Back