Schnee Weizen - First wheat success

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenito

Regular.
Reaction score
This is my first non dunkel that was a success. It tastes great. I'm very pleased with it.

Here's the recipe

FERMENTABLES

1.3 kg - German - Pilsner (40.6%)
1.6 kg - German - Wheat Malt (50%)
0.3 kg - German - Munich Light (9.4%)

HOPS

8 g - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 70 min, IBU: 3.51
8 g - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 3.86

IBU total: 14.59
YEAST

Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068

And a pic

https://imgur.com/Zz64P48.jpg

Look lovely, what the abv? ...and OG and FG?

Edit: oh, and what’s a schnee weizen? ...say as opposed to a hefe?

Last edited:
Sorry, missed that off.

ABV 5.5%

OG 1.055
FG 1.010 (Bit dry, but I prefer that to a sweet Weizen)

Fermented at 18C

Carbed to 3.0 volumes

Schnee is german for snow so shnee weizen means snow wheat I think
That is correct. It's just what I called it because it was snowing while it was in the FV.

Also a play on Snow White. With Weizen sounding a bit like Weiss which is German for white, and the German for Snow White being Schnee Witchen

As for style, it's just a hefeweizen

Ahh.. thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing some unique twist on the style ...being an outright wheat beer fan boy :laugh8:

That is correct. It's just what I called it because it was snowing while it was in the FV.

Also a play on Snow White. With Weizen sounding a bit like Weiss which is German for white, and the German for Snow White being Schnee Witchen

As for style, it's just a hefeweizen

There are some breweries in Germany that do seasonal winter wheat beers that they call that or very similar ;)
Turns out it's quite hard to be original :p

Saw this in the supermarket today, they must have made a new batch because of the weather :)
Will let you know how it is (beer is so cheap here it would have been rude not to pick it up).

IMG_5399.JPG

Specifically I'd like to know what the difference between this and the regular Weizen is.

Enjoy :)

Yep, it wasn't much different at all, maybe just a slight caramel touch to it but all in all a bit of a disappointment. Well summer is well and truly here now so I will not be trying any others for a while.

Can i bounce this thread?

I love the Erdinger snow beer and have been searching for a recipe to no avail. Also love the Erdinger wheat Octoberfest beer but cant find a recipe for that either. From the Erdinger website it seems they are both a bit stronger and left to mature for a bit. not sure how that works given wheat beers are generally best drunk very fresh. For the record i am not a fan of most wheat beers per se but love Erdinger for some reason.

Anyone got a clone recipe for snowbeer or octoberfest? I've emailed Erdinger (twice) but nothing back.

( the recipe submitted by Svenito, if i understood correctly is called snow beer as a coincidence and it essentially a regular German wheat beer?)

Have you tried googling 'Oktoberfest' instead. There are some nice US Oktoberfest beers (Great Lakes, Sam Adams etc).
And what about Paulaner? That's another German brewery

had a good look. trouble is here are loads of festival beer recipes but i cant find any with wheat. and i cant find a snowbeer recipe at all. Erdinger tatstes quite a bit different to other wheat beers too and i am trying to work out what to change.

@svenito going to brew similar but using Hallertau hops. How much water have you used? 10L?

Did you get banana flavour? My wife basically asked me to brew this, to replicate local wheat beer they used to do, but stopped. Need to keep her happy, so she doesn't mind my other experimental brews :)

Latest posts

Back