School boy error gives beer inspired Russian roulette game

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sussex Hopburner

Reaction score
Hi

I was looking forward to cracking into the 40 bottles of EDME with molasses but...

Tried batch priming for the first time and it cant have mixed properly so... Some bottles are ultra fizzy and very sweet. Some bottles are flat and others are just right.

Makes it a more interesting drinking experience... :lol:

So- my question is.. Should you give the beer a good stir with the sugar syrup when batch priming?

SHB

Sussex Hopburner said:
Hi

So- my question is.. Should you give the beer a good stir with the sugar syrup when batch priming?

SHB

No, you need to avoid aeration of the fermented wort at all costs. Best thing to do is pour sugar syrup into the bottling bucket and run the fermented beer into it, making sure the syphon runs to the bottom of the bucket (to stop any aeration). Doing it this way will mix the syup without aerating the beer :thumb:

Just open 'em near the sink buddy :thumb:

Adds a bit of a laugh to the proceedings :roll:

I was opening a Fiery Ginger Beer a while ago and said to the assembled clan, 'I'll open the bottles over the sink, some have been lively'......... needless to say not one erupted :lol:

But a couple took 'em home and soda law took over and whoooosh :lol:

I must admit that I do (very) gently stir after I pour in the syrup - being very careful to distribute without agitating. And I do mean gently. Wouldn't want to stir up all that **** that's spent a week settling on the bottom.

Works for me! :cheers:

I had exactly the same experience with my last batch primed beer. I didn't stir it at all, just assumed running the beer in with a silicon tube to avoid splashing would be sufficient mixing. Wrong! Some bottles were fine, but others were so fizzy it was a bit of a miracle they never became bottle bombs!

Based on that experience I'd have to say yes, do stir, although gently to avoid splashing and getting too much air into the beer. :thumb:

I had the same problem on my first couple of batches, including one bottle that went bang...
It helps to make the sugar solution up with a decent amount of water, it'll mix a lot more easily than a thick syrup which can settle if you don't give it a gentle stir.

My biggest problem now is forgetting to add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before siphoning :whistle:

I draw off around a pint then dissolve my priming sugar in that, stirring very gently. Then I give the headspace in my FV a brief squirt of CO2 before carefully pouring back the liquor containing the priming sugar into the FV. Then a bit of very gentle stirring without breaking the surface and Bob's your uncle.

Famous last words - in over 30 years of brewing, I have never had a bottle bomb.

Its all a bit of trial an error. I just make sure that I achieve a slow whirlpool by positioning the syphon tube at an angle. I do get a little bit of splashing for the first few seconds but it is so small it has never made any difference to the beer.

Latest posts

Back