School opening. [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you send them back?

• No - its not worth the risk.

• Yes - i trust my kids school to look after my kid/kids.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We probably won't send our eldest back to school, she's in reception so I don't feel from an educational point of view that she's missing out. She is missing her friends though. We have to know how they are planning on keeping everyone safe first. I don't want her at school with everyone wearing masks etc etc, I would like to keep her memories of school as what she had before all this kicked off. For her I'm not sure what shes going to gain from going back so soon. I'm not worried about her or our health, more for her teachers, the staff etc.

Why open schools for a week or two and risk disaster

Schoolchildren are not productive or essential "workers"

True the lockdown is costing the economy a fortune.
It cant be helped,But we allready have one of the worlds worst death rates
Dont forget once you are dead you are dead
There is also mounting evidence of serious after affects and permanent lung damage in survivors.

Far too much is still unknown about the true nature of this virus to risk anything not ABSOLUTELY essential.
A few weeks schooling is not essential. Nice but NOT essential.

A little worrying?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...eopen/ar-BB14gDQy?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout
"France has seen a worrying flare-up of around 70 new cases of coronavirus linked to schools, just days after a third of French children returned to classrooms.

Schools in low-risk areas opened their doors to the youngest students last week, while some older children went back to class on Monday.

But some schools have closed again immediately after reporting coronavirus outbreaks, French Education Minister Jean Blanquer told radio station RTL."

A little worrying?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...eopen/ar-BB14gDQy?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout
"France has seen a worrying flare-up of around 70 new cases of coronavirus linked to schools, just days after a third of French children returned to classrooms.

Schools in low-risk areas opened their doors to the youngest students last week, while some older children went back to class on Monday.

But some schools have closed again immediately after reporting coronavirus outbreaks, French Education Minister Jean Blanquer told radio station RTL."

Surely there will always be flare ups when anything is relaxed? In my opinion, with a third of students returning as the article suggests I would say 70 isn't that many, and it is days after opening, and symptoms normally take 2 weeks to show/tested. I don't think school caused those spike as the article first intimates, but unless schools can properly put measures into place to restrict the impact of these cases then the spike will get much bigger.

Surely there will always be flare ups when anything is relaxed? In my opinion, with a third of students returning as the article suggests I would say 70 isn't that many, and it is days after opening, and symptoms normally take 2 weeks to show/tested. I don't think school caused those spike as the article first intimates, but unless schools can properly put measures into place to restrict the impact of these cases then the spike will get much bigger.

If I had kids, I wouldnt want to send my kids back first to be guinnea pigs to test some of these ideas out

I think we are all guinea pigs in this, but I understand what you are saying. I'll be total honest with you here, I am more concerned about the set up of school and the negative impact it could have on my kids mental health than their physical risk. Seeing pictures of schools with yellow tape cordons around desks, and a hula hoop which kids stay in for break is monumentally stupid and highlights how pointless opening schools up is. What must a 5 or 6 year old think when they see this? they'll be thinking what's wrong with me, us, this? Not to mention, we are assuming a 5 year old will and can follow the rules. We received a letter form our school saying parents need to be available at all times to get children not following the distancing rules. 5 year olds like to bloody hug for Christ sake!!!! I have tried as a parent to educate my kids about covid but in a non-scaring, fear creating way. The suggested set up for schools undoes a lot of this work by parents.

What is the reward of opening schools that look like prisons, or some sort of dystopian hell? As mentioned in a previous post, I question the real reason behind this government's reasoning.

I think we are all guinea pigs in this, but I understand what you are saying. I'll be total honest with you here, I am more concerned about the set up of school and the negative impact it could have on my kids mental health than their physical risk. Seeing pictures of schools with yellow tape cordons around desks, and a hula hoop which kids stay in for break is monumentally stupid and highlights how pointless opening schools up is. What must a 5 or 6 year old think when they see this? they'll be thinking what's wrong with me, us, this? Not to mention, we are assuming a 5 year old will and can follow the rules. We received a letter form our school saying parents need to be available at all times to get children not following the distancing rules. 5 year olds like to bloody hug for Christ sake!!!! I have tried as a parent to educate my kids about covid but in a non-scaring, fear creating way. The suggested set up for schools undoes a lot of this work by parents.

What is the reward of opening schools that look like prisons, or some sort of dystopian hell? As mentioned in a previous post, I question the real reason behind this government's reasoning.

I cant disagree with anything you've written their. How on earth do you get 5 years olds to follow all the rules that will needed to be implemented.

Also will their be enough space for all the children. If they have to socially isolate then you wont be able to have full classes?. So what does the school do? Offer only part time school?

If it tajes up to 14 days for symptoms to show how do they know 70 cases after 3 days?

Although I haev to say 70 cases is pretty low actually .

I am more than happy to keep my kids off until september but I have to put the question, if its the same then as it is now which chaces are it is? what then?

I cant disagree with anything you've written their. How on earth do you get 5 years olds to follow all the rules that will needed to be implemented.

Also will their be enough space for all the children. If they have to socially isolate then you wont be able to have full classes?. So what does the school do? Offer only part time school?

Yeah it will be staggered starts and ends, and partial weeks. They will also be following the same 'lockdown' curriculum (although not sure what year 10 would do). Classes of 15 in 'bubbles' where they remain with same kids and teachers all day.

Can you imagine how awful a 5 year old would feel being told to leave the class and have to get collected by their parent because they couldn't follow a distancing rule? The government talk about the importance for children of returning to school, but they are not planning for these sort of issues and hope schools will just sort it themselves.

If it tajes up to 14 days for symptoms to show how do they know 70 cases after 3 days?

Although I haev to say 70 cases is pretty low actually .

I am more than happy to keep my kids off until september but I have to put the question, if its the same then as it is now which chaces are it is? what then?

I was looking at some stats on Denmark, and since they went back around 14 April, they have had 2 spikes just over 200, but the numbers have more or less stayed the same since before schools reopened, and have actually shown a steady decline. How the stats are measured I'm not 100% sure, but the stats are there.

Can you imagine how awful a 5 year old would feel being told to leave the class and have to get collected by their parent because they couldn't follow a distancing rule?

That is ludicrious, adults can't do it in a super market so kids won't do it in a playground

I was looking at some stats on Denmark, and since they went back around 14 April, they have had 2 spikes just over 200, but the numbers have more or less stayed the same since before schools reopened, and have actually shown a steady decline. How the stats are measured I'm not 100% sure, but the stats are there.

Well if that was true there is some promise to that I hope.

I am not advocating sending them all back as normal at all and happy to wait but there has to be a notion to mvoe forward somehow not just blindly hope taht in september teh virus has gone away is less dangerous kids have learnts to socially distance or a magic vaccine appears.. They are great and I eally hpoe for all let alone one of them but they are all unlikley so we need to think how we move forward because some of us will be struggling to keep a roof over our heads and put food on the table at that point.

That will be all of them then

20200519_094051.jpg

Of the 4-5 schools, including the one our kids go to, that I have seen letters or pictures of I honestly get the impression they don't want the schools to open. A lot of these letters and pictures were sent or posted before a opinions survey was sent out to parents. Maybe they are hoping for negative responses and make it less viable to open at all, or to at least many.

One thing I don't get is that our school is open for key works kids, and we walk past it to say hi to the kids who are 'locked in' regularly. No teachers or kids are distancing in the yard.

Back