Schwarzbier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoop

Reaction score
Afternoon
I know this translates literally as black beer but I've always thought of it as a black lager. Dry, refreshing, clean with a hint of roast. I fancy brewing one but every recipe I find seems to include either loads of roasted malts (a stout?), 90%+ Munich (a dunkle). Some have crystal malts which I avoid always. I wanna go with roughly 75% pilsner, 20% Munich and 5% carafa III. Double decoction, Spalt select to 30IBUs and wlp838 at 9c until done.

Anyone got experience with this style? That sound ok? I'm always keen to make it as authentic as possible when brewing German beers. 100% German Ingrediants, correct recipe and process. But something is putting me off the various recipes I find. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the style :)
Ta
Si

Brewed only a handful of this style and i have never tried the real thing. Funny enough i just bought some 2278 and says its suitable for a black lager. The recipe in the bible has a little chocolate in it which i wouldn't use. I think 5% carafa 3 sounds about right. I cold steeped roast barley before and that was ok but i like to use authentic ingredients like you although last time i cheated and used roast barley extract.

Reading radical brewing it seems to suggest the central Bavarian version is a black lager but it varies across the rest of Germany and in some cases is more of a porter. Probably explains it as I've only had it in Munich and Bamberg.

The Zeitgeist black lager from the DIY Dog manual is the closest to a trad schwartsbier that I've had in Munich. The recipe is...

Organic Munich 2.7kg
Organic Lager 1.13kg
Organic Caramalt 0.28kg
Organic Chocolate 0.23kg

4.9% abv

Cascade 27.2 Start Bitter
Cascade 27.2 End Flavour

S189 Yeast

Latest posts

Back