Science behind the perfect glass.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Iv got a good few beer glasses, different shapes, sizes, some with the printed widgets on the bottom (if that’s what you call them?). But iv got one glass, my favourite. It’s a Staropramen straight handled tankard style and no matter which beer I put in, it always gives the best aesthetics, at least to what I think a pint should look like. Head retention, bubbles up the sides ect.. I can put the same beer in three different glasses and do the Pepsi challenge and all will look different. Why is that ? What’s the science ? Are different glasses suited to different drinks. what’s your favourite glass and why?
DFCD71DA-B1F0-4799-81CC-BACBAC512678.jpeg

There's loads of research into glasses and I can see how a stem/handle will aid temperature. The nucleation on a glass is definitely important. After cleanliness I think the rest is aesthetics.

Brendan who runs a YouTube channel does a great job of explaining the different beers, glasses and the reasons why one suits each

Very good . . . . . . . He's very enthusiastic about his glass collection isn't he.

It was particularly interesting to see the "Kwak" glass in its wooden stand. I recall being in a Brussels bar a few years ago where they made you pay a deposit on the "Kwak" glasses because they lost so many to covetous tourists.

That was great. Really good video. I came home yesterday with two new beer glasses to suit 330ml bottles for my James Blonde Ale which I’ll be enjoying in a months time. My wife’s reaction, “Not more feckin beer glasses!”😂
Also loved the way he signed off with Cheers and Slainte.

I've got loads of glasses, straight pint glasses, boddies shaped pint glasses, a tall wheat beer glass, a few stemmed stella glasses with a widget in the bottom which are on *ahem* long term loan from an establishment and a metal tankard that was a father's day present a few years ago. Also got loads a half pint glasses from the many beer festivals I've frequented over the years, but I don't tend to use them as much except when I'm dispensing from a keg

I've no time for the straight or boddies glasses, they don't aid head retention at all.

The stella glasses cause too much froth in beers with higher levels of carbonation, the wheat beer glass and the tankard are my go to vessels, but the chrome plate is wearing off the handle of the tankard and exposing the brass underneath which is a shame. The inside is brushed which acts as a head retainer and makes a lovely pint.

Latest posts

Back