Scotland trip itinerary assist, please

Discussion in 'The Snug' started by steveinUS, Nov 13, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 20, 2019 #41

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster

Oh yeah, I'd always go elsewhere to get food. Was it one of the wee Hub ones? I think they are excellent option.

2. Nov 21, 2019 #42

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Active Member Supporting Member

The feedback is outstanding and greatly appreciated, I’ll be having the Mrs. read through this thread as well. In my searches I have run across a B&B in Edinburgh on Frederick St. which is within a block walk each to The Queens Arms pub and the Scotch Malt Whisky Society’s Queen Street place. (a’hem... yes I joined the SMWS here in the US, to get entree’ to the members’ rooms in Edinburgh. I did it without asking Spousal permission, while she was away and the pup and I were still on our own. Net effect was several hundred dollars including overnight delivery of a handsome tasting kit including 3 small 100ml bottles of scotch. In my own defense, I was left unsupervised.)

3. Nov 21, 2019 #43

prog99

prog99

prog99

Regular. Supporting Member

If you go to the smws then visit the Leith one rather than Queen Street as its much nicer.

steveinUS likes this.
  4. Nov 23, 2019 #44

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Regular.

We had our honeymoon at The Witchery. An amazing place to stay & the food in the restaurant is fantastic. You are right by Edinburgh Castle & some great pubs.

5. Nov 23, 2019 #45

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

You made me look. That place looks very cool, tho it might be a budget-buster, which would eat into the Scotch budget :|

6. Nov 23, 2019 #46

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Regular.

Check the wine & single malt list out ! That is the budget buster. Enjoy Scotland & bring back fond memories. The people are fantastic. My best mate moved to Aberdeen many years ago & it’s an excellent excuse to go visit !

7. Nov 23, 2019 #47

Druncan

Druncan

Druncan

Senior Moments

Hi, Great Call @Alex.mc !! Get a Jarl minikeg as you pass, then in to the oyster bar for some road snacks. (=Any smoked fish or shellfish!!!) This is our regular route home, to Oban then on a ferry.

Hi @Clint .
    We are a bit further West in the Inner Hebrides. 70m offshore from Oban then head SW across Tiree and we'r on the west most edge. Next stop Newfoundland,,,

@steveinUS We'll be able to wave at you on Islay :p Never been but all our Islands are gorgeous.
    Been flying recently to Glasgow and back, awesome vistas, but our planes keep having mechanical issues that make life interesting ( brakes failed last time homerun) Now housebound as I get used to my new replacement hip joint, looking forward to chucking kegs about again in a couple of months!clapa

Och aye, Get Olbas oil to keep the midges away! (we don't have many as they get blown to Mull.)
    Have a fantastic trip!!!acheers.

steveinUS likes this.
  8. Nov 23, 2019 #48

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Hip...I had mine done 5 years ago when I was 46...just avoid those steep angles and bends and you'll be fine. Don't do too much too soon..I found Pilates style exercises good..gentle leg lifts of a few inches while lying on the bed. Get that core strengthened.
    Oh...I took six months off work and I still think I went back too early..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Druncan likes this.
  9. Nov 23, 2019 #49

Druncan

Druncan

Druncan

Senior Moments

@Clint - Wow! good info cheers (Apologies to @steveinUS for the hijack:oops:;))

If In Oban try the Oban Inn for ales and the open seafood bar near Calmac offices. Markie Dans near the Corran Hall CP is our fave underground Oban pub! enjoyacheers.

10. Nov 24, 2019 #50

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

No apologies needed @Druncan, this thread has been a great read, I only wish we didn't have to pick & choose where we have time to visit!

11. Nov 25, 2019 #51

thesteve

thesteve

thesteve

Our (also massively over budget) parliament building is worth a look around if you are in Edinburgh and is next door to the palace of Holyrood if you are interested in the touristy things.

12. Nov 25, 2019 #52

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Landlord.

They should not be inviting tourists to Holyrood.

Instead the should be inviting planners from around the world.

As an example of how NOT to build a parlament.!!!!

13. Nov 25, 2019 #53

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Landlord.

Well steve,
    The guys on this forum are just great are they not.

Also in Scotland you will be made MOST wellcome.
    I have travelled the world on buisiness but chose to live in Scotland.

ONE word of warning the summers here are SHORT !!! (think Alaska)
    so timing will be everything.

Finally visit north west highlands its a MUST.

14. Nov 25, 2019 #54

Druncan

Druncan

Druncan

Senior Moments

ONE word of warning the summers here are SHORT !!! (think Alaska)
    @johncrobinson athumb..

Thankfully oor parliament is a bit more young rough and ready than the UK's sad posh has been junket.

Aye, you must mean the months when the rain doesn't have 70mph winds:eek:

We have developed chuckies here, that have longer claws than on the mainland to stop them getting blown off Tiree,,

Look out our windies and you can use Coos and sheep to tell you the wind direction as there arses point to the wind'n wet. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    johncrobinson likes this.
  15. Nov 25, 2019 #55

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Make sure you look out for the Scottish red Indian....
    Hawk Eye the Noo...
    I'll get me coat..

16. Nov 26, 2019 #56

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Landlord.

Love it Druncan

17. Dec 2, 2019 #57

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Last two bookings are made. First three nights in Edinburgh are in a B&B in New Town. Our 2 nights on Islay are now also booked into a B&B in Port Ellen, so that we can depart on a morning ferry after breakfast and make our leisurely way back to Edinburgh the evening prior to flying home.

I’m reading that the duty free shops are after security, and that they are not bad places to buy whisky to bring home in our carry-ons. So my Homebrew club buddies think it should be something like this.
    435C3869-0B43-4468-9AFE-0F5FC77AB62B.jpeg

The Spousal Unit is making *that* face again.

18. Dec 2, 2019 #58

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Cannot wait for the trip to come. It’s now up to the wife to dig into some details of things she wants to see and do.

19. Dec 12, 2019 #59

Hanglow

Hanglow

Hanglow

re Islay, I'd recommend planning to have lunch at Ardbeg if/when you visit the three distilleries to the south of the island, they have a good new-ish cafe. I don't think Laphroaig and Lagavulin do. As for tours, I've done quite a few over the years but none on Islay, so can't recommend any I'm afraid. Most of the disilleries are very generous with tasters. I enjoyed a proper tasting seession at Bowmore where I stayed last time I was there. Most of the pubs and hotel bars have outstanding whisky selections

The whole place is geared up for tourists, be sure to eat lots of langoustines and scallops etc.

As for beer on Islay, it is rather lacking. The only microbrewery on the island is not very good imo and most beers in pubs/hotels still tend to revolve around the Tennents/Belhaven/Guinness trifecta. But I wouldn't worry too much as you'll be there mainly for the whisky :) Would definately recommend visiting Fyne Ales as mentioned earlier in the thread.

In Glasgow some decent pubs with good beer and whisky are the Pot Still and the Bon Accord. WEST is well worth a visit imo for German inspired beers and it has nice food in their beer hall. Other pubs with good beer - Three Judges, The Lauriston. Modern beer destinations - Brewdog (2 locations) Inn Deep (williams Bros own this) 6 degrees north.

20. Dec 13, 2019 #60

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Many thanks Hanglow, Ardbeg for lunch sounds great. Claiming my ground rent at Laphroaig is also a must. And at least one official distillery tour will be called for as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted