Scottish National Homebrew competition 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are running but all the current ones are fully subscribed. The next comp to be judged is the “Lager than Life” comp next month then the “LAB Open” in May.

It’s possible some additional slots might become available for the Open and if so, I’ll post in the Competitions section.
Cheers I'll keep an eye out for them!

whisper it quietly but there may be a comp announced in the next couple of weeks for early July....wont be a big one....120 entries....but the competition calendar is slowly beginning to get filled up again.

sounds good to me 🙂. congrats on BOS, would you be all right with sharing the recipe

Alex

Happy to share the recipe....it wasn't overly complex...

I prefer to quote the malt bill in percentages so brewers can scale to their equipment to achieve the target OG based on their own system efficiencies...

54% German Pilsner Malt (5 EBC)
42% Munich Malt (15 EBC)
4% Caramunich III (150 EBC)

Single step infusion mash at 66 degrees for an hour followed by a 15 minute mashout step at 77 degrees.

17g of Magnum 12.8% boiled for 60 minutes to achieve 23.5 IBU.

Fermented using Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast at 10 degrees for 7 days, before ramping up the temp to 14 degrees for 3 days, and then crash cooling to 4 degrees for 4 days, before racking to 2ndary where it was held at 2 degrees for a week before bottling (I would usually have left in 2ndary for 4 weeks but this was a brew done for an interclub comp late last year that needed turning round quicker than I'd have liked...didnt seem to harm the beer at all as it scored well in the inter club comp as well!!!).

Target "Vital Statistics"...

OG: 1.059
IBU: 23.5
Colour: 19 EBC
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.1%

Bottled using Dextrose as priming sugar at a rate of 5.5g per Litre.

For those into such details the water profile target was:

Ca: 85
Mg: 10
Na:6
SO4: 70
Cl: 95
HCO3: 70

(I have very hard water so usually use a mix of my tap water and RO water from my local Spotless Water outlet....in this case the mix was 83/17 RO/TAP and then some mash additions of CaCl, MgSO4, CASO4 and Lactic to get to my desired water profile)

Back