Scottish National Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as disappointed with my Vienna now that I’ve had my feedback.

One of the judges liked it and scored me 29, marked down for diacetyl (wasn’t expected because I hadn’t picked up on it) and because it wasn’t bitter or dry enough for style (which I was aware of but hoped it would be overlooked). The other judge picked up on a “yoghurt flavour”, which I wonder if this was related to the bottling issue I had with the Helles.

English IPA. My other beer was bottled with the same filler. I did bottle it when it was quite green still so there may have been some funny hop creep in the bottle...?
Did you brew this for the Malt Miller/CBC comp originally? I entered 3 bottle conditioned ones of mine and had the same issue, actually scored higher than I expected as, from the keg, it’s getting very hazy and thick. I wonder if heavy hopping with English hops can cause stability issues.

Seriously WTF royal mail!? If any of the organisers are reading this thread, you'll have a delivery today

1675843710669.png

And me! Got some Admiral and phoenix hops too, not entirely sure what to do with the phoenix, some sort of porter?
I think we all got the same hops. I’m going to try an English Bitter with Phoenix for aroma/flavour and Admiral for bittering.

I’ve been thinking about developing a second bitter to sit alongside my “Full English” and might even enter it in the Sours & Sessions competition to see how it fares if I like it.

Full Scottish with Golden Promise and McEwan's yeast or Full Irish with Minch Malt and Guinness yeast?

Apologies to the Cymry, I'm not aware of any Maltings in Wales.

Wow, something very unexpected just happened to appear in my inbox this morning...

Following on from the debacle of royal mail taking 22 days to deliver my entry, which I assume somewhat surprised the organiser when the beers landed on their doorstep long after the competition deadline. I had a quick email exchange with the organiser to explain what had happened and basically left it saying feel free to consume/share the beers whilst I went off to chase compensation from Royal Mail and didn't think an awful lot more about it. Tbh in my mind I had long written this off and been focusing on other competitions.

Today though in my inbox, I was pleasantly surprised to have received two fully filled in judging sheets which was totally unexpected and quite simply blew me away.

The organiser, post-competition, went above and beyond to distribute the very late arriving beer to two different judges, have them provide feedback, on BJCP feedback sheets, and then scanned that feedback and passed back to me.

It's this sort of thing that shows why this homebrew community, especially around competitions (sanctioned or otherwise), and the effort people go to, is nothing short of amazing...

Latest posts

Back