Scottish smacking ban.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
The recent minimum price for a unit of alcohol is sending economy minded Scots south of the border to buy their drink. So will the smacking ban, announced today, have a similar effect. I can imagine the scene in many a scottish home........
"Och get in the car wee Jimmy. I'm going to Berwick for some cheap beer and while we're there I may as well thrash yer backside red raw for anything you might be thinking of doing wrong."

In before the "It did me no harm" brigade. That might be the case, but it doesn't make it right.

Seems sensible to me. You can't assault another adult, so why should it be ok to assault a child?

If it's good enough for the Scandi countries it's good enough for me.

I have never smacked my son my sergeant major voice always had the desired effect but i do remember one occasion when we were out and he tried to run into the road to retrieve a toy he dropped SWMBO dragged him back and gave him a slap on the bum (not hard but enough to give him a fright) he never did it again, I don't think criminalising parents for the odd smack is a good idea but also don't think regularly hitting your kids as a means of discipline is either.

Has anyone mentioned how they intend to police this?

Never laid a finger on my 2 29 and 21 now both decent kids, got their own cars and jobs, both went to uni and worked as well, you don't need to beat children you have lead them on the right path in life, let me add they are not lilly white angels by any means but they know right from wrong

It's illegal to 'beat' your children already. This law outlaws all smacking. Personally, I don't choose to use smacking, but don't think it's my place to get the state to enforce my views in child rearing on others.

The biggest irony is that this law, like all laws, is enforced by the threat of violence if you disobey. :laugh8::laugh8:

I've never even smacked the dog ,Freddie, pictured below. Mind you I did have to pin my last dog down until he admitted defeat. The little *******. He'd have been going south of the border.
21935546_814814518699691_1806354015_n.jpg

In before the "It did me no harm" brigade. That might be the case, but it doesn't make it right.
“I got smacked and it never did me any harm” is the childcare equivalent of “My great gran smoked 90 a day and lived to 107!”[/QUOTE]

However, it's also exactly the same as 'I never smacked my kids and they all turned out to be fantastic', if you think about it logically.[/QUOTE]

Of course it is, but nobody is saying that this will solve of society's ills, or indeed will produce fantastic children. It just means that children will no longer be able to be smacked legally.

It doesn't seem like the ban can be enforced. There are a whole bunch of examples out there. People will save what they consider socially unacceptable behavior or illegal behavior, in this case, for the home.

Striking or screaming in a rage at a child isn't useful. There are many other ways of getting a lesson learned that actually benefit the child and still achieve the objective. There are times when action is necessary and a quick, non-painful jolt of some sort can get the attention of a child.
Personally, I think smacking/spanking a kid doesn't do any good. You're putting the child in the mindset of fear at which point they're not doing any top-level thinking and so not learning. If the idea is to get the child to learn something, a safe, predictably controlled environment containing predetermined rules should be sought.
Obtaining goals by force is a lower form than obtaining goals by cooperation, leading by example and understanding.

I don't think the law has necessarily been passed so that it will become a law enforcement focus. I think its aim is as a deterrent by making it clear that smacking isn't socially acceptable.

I never wanted children. But I liked to watch programs like 'supernanny'. It proved that children could be disciplined without hitting or smacking. But I believe sometimes a parent will lose his or her temper and slap or smack a child. This should be the exception. The law in Scotland will probably stop smacking in public. I suppose some brats will report their parents to their school with awkward consequences for all involved.

Would never smack my daughter. I don't see what she would gain from me doing this. As a child I remember always being worried about getting smacked but never did. sometimes the threat of something is worse than it actually happening.

I don't often mention this for obvious reasons but......
I had the misfortune too go to a school that used corporal punishment to an extreme. This was also backed up with psychological bullying and abuse, on children from 7 upwards. Think of Tom brown's schooldays X5 and worse. There are a lot of damaged adults out there as a result, many of them my schoolmates. Physical punishment on children is the thin end of the wedge. And, once you've used it, your likely on a path of ramping it up, and that's when children can get injured. To my mind, if you hit a child and they don't get what that's for, you've lost already. The extreme punishments I endured didn't stop me from doing the things that were allegedly "wrong" They just made me make sure I wasn't caught next time.
I've seen the bruises, the blood, the broken bones(yep!) and the life-long psychological damage that can occur with abuse of physical discipline with children subjected to it.
For those children in abusive familial situations, smacking was just the start. If you smack more than once or twice, you've lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back