Scrapping HS2 Leeds extension 'undermines' levelling up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt many will be surprised -
James Lewis, leader of Leeds, said the decision reinforced the "old north-south divide".

Scrapping the proposed eastern leg of HS2 to Leeds would "undermine" the government's levelling-up pledge, according to Leeds City Council.

The comments come as sources have told the BBC there will be no Leeds extension to HS2.

James Lewis, leader of Leeds, said the decision reinforced the "old north-south divide".

The new Northern Powerhouse Line is also expected to be abandoned in favour of upgrades to existing lines.

The Integrated Rail Plan is expected to be published by the government on Thursday.

It is understood the government is set to argue the new plans will deliver comparable benefits more quickly and cheaply.

Mr Lewis said: "We believe that anything less than a commitment to the eastern leg of HS2 as part of an integrated network with Northern Powerhouse Rail in full would undermine any pledge to 'level up' our regions - at a time when we need it most."

In an open letter to the Prime Minister, Mayor of West Yorkshire Tracy Brabin urged him to "keep his promises" on rail.

She said the government had a choice: "It can choose to unlock the potential of the North, or it can let us down once again, limiting your levelling up ambitions, before you've had a chance to finalise the levelling up White Paper."

The Northern Powerhouse Partnership, which represents northern council's and businesses, said the decision was a mistake and would undermine HS2 as a project to drive economic growth across the whole UK.

There is also significant concern about the government ditching proposals for the new Northern Powerhouse Rail line, between Leeds and Manchester.

The BBC understands the government plans to largely upgrade existing lines and the route would not go via Bradford.

Northern Powerhouse Partnership director Henri Murison said: "Bypassing Bradford with its young and diverse population is the height of short-term Treasury thinking."

He said the idea that the revised plan would unlock the north's potential was "misguided and, in economic terms, disastrous".

"Throwing money at 150-year-old tunnels towards Manchester because it will cost less, which will never have enough capacity as they and the wider route through Huddersfield is so constrained, is not Northern Powerhouse Rail," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59294034

To be fair, Im a big fan of HS2, (Im a rail nut), but this is becoming a Boris vanity project after his failures with garden bridges, Thames estuary airports and tunnels to Ireland, the man is a complete nut job. Another issue for me is when these projects are approved the costs seem to double every year- who the feck does the maths - Cross rail is 2 years behind schedule and costs going through the roof. By the way there are some great cross rail vids featuring a female American engineer who worked for NASA - brilliant lady, you would love her.

iu-28.jpeg

To be fair, Im a big fan of HS2

Sorry but i am not a fan, the money they are spending to benefit a tiny number of the population could have solved many of the problems in this country where a lack of funds is always used as an excuse for it being in the state it is in.

It's just yet another gravy train, pardon the poor pun, for matey mates!

I am not a super nerd re. trains, but I do like public transport systems and take pleasure in exploring them in different places, and I am sorry to say what we have in the UK is absolutely shameful!

One of the leading countries in the world..? What an absolute joke!

The money that has been spaffed against the wall by these people could have done something really decent to bring us at least up to date with other developed countries, but we still have the same tired old lines and the same tired old rolling stock, and the things that are done are more about putting money in peoples pockets than doing anything meaningful and positive for society.

Apparently I am in a grumpy mood this evening :rolleyes: 😂

I can fully understand why folk are not fans of HS2, but Im not going to get into some contenscious argument about it. But having spent a lot of time studying all the pro and cons Im still a fan. Over and out

Sorry Mr Wizard, didn't mean to make you feel like an argument was brewing, I am not generally like that :)

Even though I disagree., I can see why you would be excited about it and respect your right and decision to be so.

Enjoy your evening and sincere best wishes!

Levelling up! Why does anyone believe anything that Johnson says. If it not out and out lies it is empty words to appease whoever he is looking to appease at that particular time or just simply blah blah. This country deserves a person of integrity as PM.

Levelling up! Why does anyone believe anything that Johnson says. If it not out and out lies it is empty words to appease whoever he is looking to appease at that particular time or just simply blah blah. This country deserves a person of integrity as PM.
I would argue that this country deserves what it gets. I was reading an article the other day, about the forthcoming by-election in Bexley and Sidcup following the death of the incumbent Tory MP. Despite all the recent revelations about sleaze, self interest and nepotism associated with the blue team, people still said that they would vote conservative. One woman even described Johnson as a ‘waste of space’ but nevertheless would still vote conservative. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

In my opinion the only 'levelling up' we would have seen in the north is property prices.

Yes, being able to get from Leeds to London quickly by train is great, but would it be priced at such a level everyone can afford? All I could see happening was lots of people in well paid jobs, selling up in London and moving north and paying a premium because their money will go further, pushing prices up as commute times are cut.

Now many people work from home for the majority of their working life, things will only get worse. Estate agents and solicitors must have been rubbing their hands at the announcement of HS2. Not to mention the train companies at the thought of being given massive subsidies.

Last edited:

I believe this is local to me or if not a very similar picture was shared around here after they felled a load of historic woods (including a 200 year-old pear tree) to make way for what is fast becoming a London-centric vanity project. Scrapping the North East part of the line just makes it even more baffling. The money could be so much better spent in making the existing railway an affordable and sustainable option for people.

To live sustainably you need to live locally, where you work, where you shop e.t.c.
There Bo Jo talks again with forked tongue its ok to do what I want, you just toe the line. . Luckily sense may be prevailing and like the garden bridge his grandiose scheme will be kicked into touch.
It would never benefit the likes of me, and probably you anyway.

...Scrapping the North East part of the line just makes it even more baffling. The money could be so much better spent in making the existing railway an affordable and sustainable option for people.
Exactly.
It's cheaper to fly or hire a car than to take the train any distance in this country, unless you manage to book one of the small number of seats available 3 months in advance (just so companies can claim there is an affordable option).

There seems no point in building a new line to save 20 minutes for the rich when the same cash could be used to upgrade existing routes that can be used by the masses.

Although my paranoid side says the government is trying to limit freedom of movement by cost - a bit like house prices in the catchment area of good schools.

I can fully understand why folk are not fans of HS2, but Im not going to get into some contenscious argument about it. But having spent a lot of time studying all the pro and cons Im still a fan. Over and out

Don't get me wrong I would be all for HS2 if we had plenty of money and could sort the NHS and HS2, i have been on crowded trains and its no fun at all, as we don't have the money for both for me the money should be spent on benefitting the majority not the minority.

Last edited:
Despite all the recent revelations about sleaze, self interest and nepotism associated with the blue team, people still said that they would vote conservative. One woman even described Johnson as a ‘waste of space’ but nevertheless would still vote conservative. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

You call them turkeys what have labour given us that would persuade a Tory voter to switch answer = nothing.

Latest posts

Back