Scratched SS Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've raved in some of the other threads about my stainless steel fermenter and how it has made a massive impact on the quality of my brewing. Thing is, it's now developed a load of very fine scratches along the inside from the bottom to about half way up. It makes it feel very rough to the touch and, worse of all, my last brew had an off flavour to it which I'm blaming on these scratches harboring left over yeasties. Is this a common thing following several lively ferments? I wouldn't have thought even the wildest of yeasts would have had this effect. Oh, and it's not me cleaning with any thing harsh. I use a micro fibre cloth and a weak oxi solution for cleaning. It's strange too how I've only got this from about half way - the top half is fine.

Sadly it might be beerstone (calcium oxalate) I have had it in my SS F/V's and cornies. I was advised of this by Brewlab following analysis discovered slight contamination in my brews. Then used (and still do) their Nitric acid cleaner (Nipac?) and analysis showed it was back to normal. Do you have hard water? Takes a bit of time to sort but do-able. I got 230ppm CACo3,,, but can still brew. My next challenge will be more water treatment for lagering,,,,:tinhat::confused.:

Thanks for that. My heart sank when I started reading that but, having done a bit of research I poured a litre of cider vinegar in and went to work with a green scouring pad. Seems to have worked, nice an smooth again 😁👍

If it was an infection, could you not just blast it with a blowtorch for a few seconds to sterilise it, or am I being stupid?

I'll be buying some Barkeepers Friend now anyway. Thanks for the recommendation, never come across it before.

Blowtorch sounds like a great idea and I guess it might turn the FV some funky colours too 😎

I can tell you what will remove beerscale by just running it over the surface, but it is such evil stuff that unless you are used to handling strong chemicals, I would steer well clear of it. I was given a gallon of a caustic solution by the brewer who invented Jail Ale, which he told me was a mixture of Sodium Hydroxide which removes protein scale, and something called EPTA which is a collating agent that removes metallic scale. Trickled over the FV’s surface by recirculating pump for two hours leaves it sparkling clean again, but I do this by remote control, and hold my breath when anywhere in the vicinity.

I’ve been using the same gallon , diluted down, for 20 years now, and found that the beerscale needs removing about every 6th brew. Scourers of any kind are a bad idea, as they produce minute scratches which encourage the scale to grow again.

I have a 25l fermenter, when beer goes bad in it (for other reasons) I give it a good clean and pour boiling water in it, usually about half way and leave it for 10 mins with the lid clipped on. This seems to sterilise nicely.

I can tell you what will remove beerscale by just running it over the surface, but it is such evil stuff that unless you are used to handling strong chemicals, I would steer well clear of it. I was given a gallon of a caustic solution by the brewer who invented Jail Ale, which he told me was a mixture of Sodium Hydroxide which removes protein scale, and something called EPTA which is a collating agent that removes metallic scale. Trickled over the FV’s surface by recirculating pump for two hours leaves it sparkling clean again, but I do this by remote control, and hold my breath when anywhere in the vicinity.

I’ve been using the same gallon , diluted down, for 20 years now, and found that the beerscale needs removing about every 6th brew. Scourers of any kind are a bad idea, as they produce minute scratches which encourage the scale to grow again.
explains the taste of Jail Ale. (Not really, but couldn't resist)...

Latest posts

Back