Screw caps with shrink wraps.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseR

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into wine making, but I'm unsure what's best as far as screw tops or corking is concerned.

I do like the idea of corks, but heard a lot of cons with them. Im looking into the novatwists which have good review's and will order them to try.

I have started to collect used wine bottles, and was thinking of reusing the caps in conjunction with shrink wraps. Anyone tried that?, And do you think a good seal be can be achieved?.

Just re-use the original cap. Forget about shrink wraps, they're just a PITA to have to take off.
Eventually the threads will wear out on the original caps but hasn't happened to me yet.

Screw caps are very rare over here and when I get on I save it. Don't make a lot of wine, but I think corks are quite porous (to oxygen, I mean). On the other hand, I find the composite-cork beer corks very good indeed, but I don't think the neck of a wine bottle is strong enough to take them. I'd stick to screw caps.

I have used the screws caps that came with the original bottles and as long as you do not overtighten them they will last quite a few times and I mean at least 6 plus but as in the earlier answer eventually the threads on the caps wear at this point try the Nova twist as they are well reusable but do shop around as they can be expensive from some suppliers. Don't bother with the shrink wrap seals and corks are ok but can be a pain (cheap ones break on the way out sometimes)and you will have to buy a corker too

Ok lads thanks for the replies will go with the screwcaps, and see how that fairs.

You could always use some ptfe tape when the threads start to go. Remember to give it a quick squirt of star san!

Scree caps or novatwist for me too, also the wine boxes off eBay are good too, can reuse these a few times also. Come in 3 and 5 ltr sizes, quick and easy if you drink lots of wine.

Opened a bottle of Hock the other day.Before removing the shrink wrap spent 10mins hunting down my corkscrew eventually i found it.
So sat down and removed the shrink wrap what did i find a blooming screw cap.!!!

Back