Screw top reply

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier this year, i emailed blossom hill, asking them why they had moved from cork to screwtops, they have finally replied!
See what you think of the reply!

Dear Falafael,

Thank you for your recent email . It is always good to hear from our loyal consumers. We are delighted to receive any feedback on our products and communications, as it keeps us in touch with the people that matter - you.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. As you can undwerstand we receive hundreds of queries a day this sometimes may cause a slight back log to facilitate the demand.

I have spoken with the Blossom Hill brand team and they have confirmed the following:

We moved to screw caps for a variety of reasons:
- wine freshness: for young wine which are meant to be enjoyed in their youth, screw caps provide a better seal and protects the wine from premature aging. This means that the wine retain their fruity aromas for longer.
- convenience for consumers: some consumers found that the synthetic closure were difficult to re-insert into the bottle. Screw caps do not have this problem.Also consumers told us that they prefer the convenience of screw caps, and the lack of need for a cork screw.
- no cork taint: we came away from natural cork closures about 3-4 years ago, as we were experiencing inconsistency of wine flavour due to natural cork taint. We saw our complaint figures drop dramatically with this change.

So it’s a combination of desire to improve wine freshness and consistency, and feedback from the majority of consumers that it gives greater convenience. I understand this decision will be disappointing to you, but I do hope you understand the reason behind it.

We hope you continue enjoying all brand and we look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Best wishes from DIAGEO.

Kind Regards,

Pamela Daly,
DIAGEO Consumer Careline

seems logical... screw tops wont let it breathe so i can understand it holding back the natural ageing process.

so i guess all those screw top bottles i've still got can infact be used on the wines that i dont wish to age!... bonus :D cheers mate :thumb:

Although I have used screw tops for my wine I fail to see how they make a decent seal, they seem so 'loose' and whether corking or not the screw tops get a seal shrunk over them to stop the air getting in.

Back