Sea fishing from a boat.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Today, for the first time, I went fishing from a boat. Our trip had been cancelled 3 times previously so we were glad to go despite the threat of sleat.
We arrived at Fleetwood early and I was surprised to see how small the boat was for the 6 of us (it could take 8).
Going out it got a bit lively and chucked us about a bit. The first victim soon vomited. An art form I joined him in a bit later. At the first place where the anchor was dropped we caught nothing.
At the second place we started to catch Whiting and Dab. We moved on to 2 other places but I was the only one who caught anything, a whiting and a little crab.
I caught 8 whiting and 2 dab in total and enjoyed the day but it was seriously cold, which after a number of hours was starting to affect my ability to use my hands and speak normally.
I chucked all but 2 whiting back because they were too small. I'd recommend the experience but would advise you did it in summer and didn't expect it to pay for itself with your silver harvest.
We were apparently unlucky not to get any cod and later in the year will have a chance of plaice and mackerel. Can't wait:thumb1:

Good weather is definitely required! Plus with summer time, if all else fails you should get a good few mackerel! Straight home and on to the bbq!

One of my great loves! Living in South Dorset one of the finest charter fishing fleets is right on my doorstep in Weymouth :cheers1:

Didn't get many trips in last year, but the evening this pic was taken was a bream a chuck, must've had 50 (vast majority returned) in a 4 hour evening trip

Attachments

• 18813417_1339595319427750_4258500900410590812_n.jpg
    18813417_1339595319427750_4258500900410590812_n.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 53
I went on a boat fishing trip years ago we caught quite few and had a good day I had forgotten all about it until I read this thread, would love to do it again.

Oops meant to attach this picture to my last post....

Attachments

• DSC_0507.JPG
    DSC_0507.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 53
Most seasick I've ever been was whilst sea fishing. Learnt my lesson now and will always take a few Stugeron when going out on a boat.

The "bad" trip wasn't helped by having a night out on the sauce before hand with some old Uni mates. Didn't catch a lot (anything?) due to being so ill but my mates had some mackerel, was hoping for some bass but alas not. Worst bit is trying to deal with all the rank baits like peeler crab, rag and lug worm whilst feeling really sick. Managed to repeat this experience on a shark fishing trip on the Algarve, felt really sorry for the Norwegian guys we were sharing the boat with as we had to curtail the trip because we were all so ill (except them). They did manage to land one shark though. We had a whip round after to give them some of their money back. I'm ok if the boats motoring but as soon as the anchor is dropped and it's just rolling around that's when it starts to go wrong. Also did boat fishing from Barcelona for a mate's stag do, that one was much better as we were motoring the whole time dragging the lures / bait along behind the boat, caught quite a few mackerel and other stuff on that one and even managed to down a few beers!

I'm sure I'll get out there again one day. My brother part owns a boat with some mates but it seems to have been mothballed somewhere as life got in the way.

I took a mate out one time for a fishing trip just up the coast from here. As it was from a tidal estuary I knew we would be out for at least eight hours so I took 2 x 2 litre flasks of coffee with me as well as the sandwiches and bait.

Within a minute of dropping the hook my mate was being violently ill over the side. After about an hour he recovered enough to take a sip of coffee which he promptly threw up. He then did exactly the same for the next three hours at which time he saw me pour a cup of coffee and toss it over the side.

"What are you doing?" he asked "Cutting out the middleman." I replied. The word he managed to croak back in response weren't very complimentary ...

... and he didn't seem to realise that beneath my stern exterior beats a heart of sympathy and understanding.

Here's the kicker. About a month later I went out with him on his own boat! He'd decided that he liked sailing even if he didn't like fishing so he'd bought a 16ft sailing dinghy!

Funny old world eh?:gulp:

I'm still tired after yesterday's trip but I am having tempura battered whiting fillets for tea. :thumb:

Back