Sealing kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clives-online

Reaction score
Greetings,

What is the best way to seal the valves on a keg if it leaks??

Would a layer of super glue help seal the valves?? Or is there a better method to seal it?

Regards,

Clive

Hi,
I have 10 l of Dubbel in a keg.

When I put a CO2 capsule, air bubbles out of the side of the valve, on the top. This is brand new, I want to stop any leakage, to keep the pressure.

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't want to block the valve.

Air/gas escapes from where the valve is attached to the lid. This is a brand new pressure keg.

I already have beer stored in the pressure barrel. I want to make the lid airtight. I tried to tighten the valve. But air still escapes, under pressure.

It may be that you are simply putting too much pressure in and the relief valve (band) is doing its job. Although they are called pressure barrels they are not designed to hold much pressure. The best I ever got before something leaked was 10-15psi dependent on the barrel (same make of barrels but not the same at leaking)

Greetings,
Found out two issues.

I am using the Wilco, the wrong gas capsule.

I am brewing stout, so should use N2O, not C2O. Isn't N2O laughing gas...

Greetings,
Found out two issues.

I am using the Wilco, the wrong gas capsule.

I am brewing stout, so should use N2O, not C2O. Isn't N2O laughing gas...

I'm not sure I've ever heard of 'carbonating' with laughing gas (could be interesting!) but for a 'nitro' stout you want a 70:30 mix of nitrogen gas (which has the formula N2) and CO2.

If you do end up drinking a beer with N2O in it (n.b. I seriously recommend you do NOT do this) please let us know how you get on!

So if you use a N2O/CO2 mix for stout and porter.
What do you use for Belgium style beers like Dubbel and Tripel??

You want carbon dioxide, and you'll want to get a corny keg or do it in bottles because you'll won't even get half way to the carbonation levels they typically have if you're using a plastic pressure barrel.

If it's new take it back to the shop, say it doesn't work and bottle for a while and put the money towards a kegging system that works.

I’ve got two of these which I use for pressure fermenting. Extra expense and faff but I fitted pressure gauges so I can see what pressure they are at. Both start to release between 10 and 12 psi. They the hovver around 9-10. You can hear the gentle hiss of co2 release as fermentation continues. As recommended already - corny kegs for carbing and dispense.

To clarify it split along the seam on the bottom,lost the entire barrel.

So if you use a N2O/CO2 mix for stout and porter.
Don't get distracted! You might hear mixed gas "for stout" but that doesn't mean stout needs mixed gas because it most certainly does not. I wouldn't entertain nitrogen gas (in mixed gas) anywhere near my stouts and porters. Anyway, you are using a plastic pressure barrel which can't hold a fraction of the pressure needed to make shaving cream out of beer.

As @Drunkula said, stick to CO2.

Good look serving cream-flow through a plastic keg. If you do try please film the explosion and a comedy photo of yourself covered in stout.

Back