Second brew help - how much yeast to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGX

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After a few years of wanting to try out home brewing I have finally got around to it and am currently dry hopping my first brew, the Cloud 9 IPA all grain kit from The Malt Miller. I’ve gone down the all-in-one route with a Brew Monk 30l system. I’ve found the advice available on the forum invaluable in getting started so I am hoping I can get some help for my second brew.

I am planning an Vienna/amber lager loosely based on a Brooklyn Lager recipe I found in the Brew Your Own Big Book of Clone Recipes. I was going to use two pack of Mangrove Jacks M84 yeast but on putting the recipe into the Brewfather app it seemed like this wasn’t going to be enough and the app recommended using 4 packs. I don’t want to go down the route of making starters yet so have bought another two packs.

Does using four packs seem too much for a 19l batch? Is there any downside to putting it all in (other than the cost) just to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Everyone,

After a few years of wanting to try out home brewing I have finally got around to it and am currently dry hopping my first brew, the Cloud 9 IPA all grain kit from The Malt Miller. I’ve gone down the all-in-one route with a Brew Monk 30l system. I’ve found the advice available on the forum invaluable in getting started so I am hoping I can get some help for my second brew.

I am planning an Vienna/amber lager loosely based on a Brooklyn Lager recipe I found in the Brew Your Own Big Book of Clone Recipes. I was going to use two pack of Mangrove Jacks M84 yeast but on putting the recipe into the Brewfather app it seemed like this wasn’t going to be enough and the app recommended using 4 packs. I don’t want to go down the route of making starters yet so have bought another two packs.

Does using four packs seem too much for a 19l batch? Is there any downside to putting it all in (other than the cost) just to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance!!!
What is the OG? if it's not a high ABV beer I'd agree with lupinehorror

I’ve found that the default cell count for dry packs is very conservative on Brewfather.
I did an AG Pilsner kit from Get Er Brewed that came with 1 pack of Diamond Lager yeast. BF said it should have 2.5 packs!
I questioned it on here and was reassured by some helpful forumites and GEB too that 1 was enough.
They were right and it’s now carbing up nicely after sticking with 1 pack.

Edit: it had an OG of 1.043

Manufacturers design these sachets to suit a typical homebrew brew length ~23l, hence their advice:
'Usage Directions: Sprinkle directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 10-15 degrees C (50-59 degrees F).'

Obviously this changes with very high OG beers, but at 1.057 one pack should be fine.

What temperature? At 12c I'd use two packs , if you are wanting to say ferment at 8c I'd use 4 packs. I definitely wouldn't use one pack unless you are fermenting at ale temperatures with it.

What temperature? At 12c I'd use two packs , if you are wanting to say ferment at 8c I'd use 4 packs. I definitely wouldn't use one pack unless you are fermenting at ale temperatures with it.
I was going to ferment at 11c

I just put around 250ml of boiling water into a sanitised jug when I start mashing.
Cover the jug with some sanitised foil or cling film.

Once the water has hit 20-25 degrees pour the two packs of yeast into the water.
Stir for around 5-10mins.
Then pour liquid into the mash.

I re-hydrate all my dry yeasts now, makes a huge difference.

Oops, just realised your using ale yeast. Same instructions but let the water cool to 30 degrees.
Still use 2 packs though, the yeast count for MJ is lower than Safale.

Oops, just realised your using ale yeast. Same instructions but let the water cool to 30 degrees.
Still use 2 packs though, the yeast count for MJ is lower than Safale.
The M84 is a bohemian lager yeast so will follow the earlier instructions.

Two packs it is! Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back