Secondary fermentation in bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerJ

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just a quick Question, how long do you normally leave your bottles before cracking them open? I normally leave them in the shed for 3 weeks before drinking as a rule of thumb.
Cheers

Hi guys,

just a quick Question, how long do you normally leave your bottles before cracking them open? I normally leave them in the shed for 3 weeks before drinking as a rule of thumb.
Cheers
I try one after 2 weeks, they normally still have a slight cidery taste at this point to me. Normally 3 weeks is ideal for me

Aside from the odd early sample for "research purposes" I always try to keep bottles for at least 4 weeks (2 warm and 2 cool) before I start drinking a beer.

Generally 1 after 7 days and another after 14, partly to see how the beer is tasting but also to keep an eye on carbonation levels. Also depends on the type of beer but I find most are good after 4 weeks conditioning.

Some are much better after a few months though, so always keep a few to one side.

I try one after 2 weeks, they normally still have a slight cidery taste at this point to me. Normally 3 weeks is ideal for me
Thanks for the reply. What is it that causes the cidery flavours in early beer?

Thanks for the reply. What is it that causes the cidery flavours in early beer?
Supposedly it’s the table sugar (rather than pure dextrose). I know there is somebody on here that can’t use regular sugar at all. I think I’m probably more sensitive than most but I do find it ages out fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back