Secondary Fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Growler

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning all
Just wondering what is secondary Fermentation for?
And do I need to do this for my mangrove jacks juicy IPA kit?

These will help
http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/fermentation/using-secondary-fermentorshttp://www.homebrewing.com/articles/secondary-fermentation/There was recent poll of forum members and about 75% never racked off. The rest were occasionally or never.
I do it occasionally but only if I'm working with a poorly flocculating yeast and want to get the beer clearer at bottling time.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/poll-who-racks-off-beer-to-a-second-fv.85431/
I like my beers Hazy so I don't think I need too then. As for poor flocculating yeast I'm not aware of this yet so I could be coming back to you if this happens 👍 cheers

I like my beers Hazy so I don't think I need too then. As for poor flocculating yeast I'm not aware of this yet so I could be coming back to you if this happens 👍 cheers
If you like your hazy pales then arguably one of the most important things you should try to do is reduce oxidation after fermentation.
So its probably best to avoid racking into a 2ndry and the possible/unavoidable O2 contact it will entail.
acheers.

Morning all
Just wondering what is secondary Fermentation for?
And do I need to do this for my mangrove jacks juicy IPA kit?
What we call "secondary fermentation" really isn't. Primary or aerobic fermentation takes place in the first day or two when the yeast multiply rapidly on the surface of the beer and form a "rocky head" which those among us who prefer foreign words call "krausen". The head then subsides into the beer and the yeast ferments anaerobically. This is "secondary fermentation" and it's where the bulk if not all of the alcohol is produced. Some brewers, myself included, are not too obsessed with fermenting crystal clear wort as the trub provides nutrients so towards the end of the ferment, roughly about three quarters the way through secondary fermentation, we rack the beer into a clean fermenter leaving the old, dead yeast behind and the trub, too. There's still enough yeast left in the beer to complete fermentation and less chance of off-flavours developing from autolysis of the dead yeast. (In fact there's little chance of this with most beers). I observe that doing this causes the rest of the yeast to fall out of suspension over the next few days and it's then that I add the dry hops if required. I also bottle directly from the second fermentation vessel.
Hope that helps.
I should add that when I dispensed my beer from 5-gallon pressure vessels, I didn't usually rack into an intermediate fermenter. Now that I bottle most of my stuff, I do.

What we call "secondary fermentation" really isn't. Primary or aerobic fermentation takes place in the first day or two when the yeast multiply rapidly on the surface of the beer and form a "rocky head" which those among us who prefer foreign words call "krausen". The head then subsides into the beer and the yeast ferments anaerobically. This is "secondary fermentation" and it's where the bulk if not all of the alcohol is produced. Some brewers, myself included, are not too obsessed with fermenting crystal clear wort as the trub provides nutrients so towards the end of the ferment, roughly about three quarters the way through secondary fermentation, we rack the beer into a clean fermenter leaving the old, dead yeast behind and the trub, too. There's still enough yeast left in the beer to complete fermentation and less chance of off-flavours developing from autolysis of the dead yeast. (In fact there's little chance of this with most beers). I observe that doing this causes the rest of the yeast to fall out of suspension over the next few days and it's then that I add the dry hops if required. I also bottle directly from the second fermentation vessel.
Hope that helps.
I should add that when I dispensed my beer from 5-gallon pressure vessels, I didn't usually rack into an intermediate fermenter. Now that I bottle most of my stuff, I do.
That's great info thanks

Hope that helps.

That is an excellent explanation! I have tried to explain it to folks that I'm helping get started in home brewing but nothing quite as nicely put, as your post.

I for one, want as clear a brew as I can make. It is beautiful to be sitting on the porch of an evening and hold up a crystal clear glass with our favorite brew, (of which we have made 283 batches over the years) and let the setting sun shine through it. Almost, almost being the operative word here, too attractive to drink.

Latest posts

Back