Secondary regulators

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
I current have 4 keg setup working off a 4 way gas manifold. I would like to have secondary regulator(s) on to allow for different styles.

Anyone use secondary regulators that they could recommend ?

I have seen the kegland inline ones that can be found on AliExpress for around £6 each but I'm not sure how robust they are ?

I use these Redditch Controls regulators. Work well, can be daisy chained, can be isolated individually.

https://www.lawsdrinkssystems.co.uk...ellar/regulators/secondary-regulator-480.html
Note the price is exclusive of VAT so these are nearer £30 and postage is another £5.95.

I also have these or similar but bought the refurbished version. Makes for a decent saving when buying three of them: Refurbished Secondary CO2 Beer Regulator with Gauge

Work great, had no issues with them whatsoever.

The photo is of my keezer with secondary regs installed. I completed the install last week and so haven't had time to soak test yet.
20220301_100005.jpg

I also have these or similar but bought the refurbished version. Makes for a decent saving when buying three of them: Refurbished Secondary CO2 Beer Regulator with Gauge

Work great, had no issues with them whatsoever.
Forgive my silly questions, but with these is only 1 output regulated and the other is like a pass through where it remains at the pressure of the primary regulator or blanked if it is the end of the line?

The photo is of my keezer with secondary regs installed. I completed the install last week and so haven't had time to soak test yet.
View attachment 63891
That looks the part. That's the same manifold I have that I now wish I had got the 6 output as I have 4 taps and then want one for an itap and one to carbonate a 5th keg outside the keezer.

What are you using for heat when required ?

Forgive my silly questions, but with these is only 1 output regulated and the other is like a pass through where it remains at the pressure of the primary regulator or blanked if it is the end of the line?
That’s right. In/Out are on the sides and are just a pass-through channel, the regulated output is at the bottom with a lever at the side to isolate it.

@jayk34 I don't use anything for heat as the keezer is for serving only. I ferment elsewhere. My next job is to have a keg outside the keezer as well. My co2 bottle is outside the keezer and I plan to make a cabinet to contain it and the "room temperature" keg with a feed from the bottle for the fifth keg.
20220301_102551.jpg

So where the keg and co2 is now will be the new cabinet, same height as the keezer and with a hand pump mounted on it with the co2 and keg inside.

Last edited:
@jayk34 I don't use anything for heat as the keezer is for serving only. I ferment elsewhere. My next job is to have a keg outside the keezer as well. My co2 bottle is outside the keezer and I plan to make a cabinet to contain it and the "room temperature" keg with a feed from the bottle for the fifth keg.
View attachment 63892
So where the keg and co2 is now will be the new cabinet, same height as the keezer and with a hand pump mounted on it with the co2 and keg inside.
So is your keezer in your house and what temperature are you serving at? I have all of the parts to build my keezer and just waiting for freezer delivery from Currys this week and delivery of itap from AliExpress. My taps are currently in my unheated garage which hasn't really gotten above 5-8°C all winter and the beer has been too cold for me. I'm guessing at a serving temp somewhere in the range 10-13°C hence I thought that I would need some heat on occasions to maintain this is the garage was in the normal come range. Could be wrong !?

Sounds like a great idea with the cabinet and hand pump. I'm brewing a bitter this weekend and have been thinking about a hand pump. Talk about "mission creep", this keezer project is going to have me skint 🤣

I have one of the Kegland ones, but I’m tempted to get another one so I can have my 3 kegs at 3 different pressure - I often have a British ale (low carbonation), American style (medium) and a wheat/lager on, and at the moment I’m setting the British low through the secondary reg with the other 2 on a bit of a compromise (high for an APA but low for a wheat).

I like it a lot. The only thing by be aware of is that they have 5/16 Duotights built in so you’ll need either 5/16 line or JG/DT adapters.

My keezer is in the main house and so not so cold as a garage. I keep the temperature to 5 degrees C which is perhaps on the cold side for winter but I brew a lot of modern craft beers and German style beers.
The kezer has a modified temperature control so I could make it warmer if I wanted. The outside picture shows the black control box which sits between the mains and freezer plug. Below the four tap manifold on the back of the keezer the black wire for the temperature sensor for the control box can be seen.
I ferment in an unheated utility room and use an oil electric radiator to heat the room when it is cold. An expensive option for dispensing beer though, especially in a room the size of a garage which has probably not got the best insulation if it has standard garage doors.

Some detail on the hand pump build with respect to co2.
20220301_123719.jpg

From the top:
* A tee junction to break into the co2 supply with isolation tap.
* A secondary regulator to bring down the co2 pressure to an acceptable level for the tertiary regulator (red) to accept.
* Tertiary regulator to supply co2 at about 10 millibars to feed into the keg on demand when the hand pump is used.
🤔 just noticed that the secondary reg is upside down!

No issues with Kegland ones, I also bought the smaller range gauges to more accurately set the pressure.

Current set up is
IMG-20211204-WA0018.jpg

When I get a moment I'll add a 4 way manifold so I can isolate any empty kegs and have a spare output for my counterpressure tap filler. Ideally I could move the CO2 bottle outside the keezer, but I don't have a safety collar for it and with a 14 month old it's not wise.

Will be similar to @Eskimo John's but am certain his is much neater than mine will be

Back