Secret Cask Micro Pub Edenbridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As probably one of the few forumites to have have visited Secret Cask (on opening day I think) I would whole heartedly recommend you pay a visit. Great choice compared to most micros in my neck of the woods - many don't have any keg beers. I'm hoping the new micro at the end of my road will have as good a selection.
acheers.

Leaving aside this instance.Prices in pubs (general) have skyrocketed since I started drinking 1975.Then I could buy five pints for one pound in my local on a 18yrs old net wage of £35 pw NET this equates to 175 pints per week.Now living in Scotland my local is charging £3.75 per pint,So 175*3.75=£656.25 per week(after tax) So todays 18yr old would need a salary of over £50k pa to do the same.Thats around a Thousand pounds a week.NOW how much is minimum wage again?????
No wonder the pub trade is dying.
Brewers can make and sell it cheap,Just ask Tesco!!!
For most of my life I was non-smoker but smoking ban did not help either.Very few beer gardens here,Far to cold to stand outside most of the year.
Perhaps micros like this are the way forward for the drinks buisness.?

It's the taxation. Go to Spain, Poland, Czech etc. and tell me beer is expensive.

Beer duty is £19.08p per hectolitre. A hectolitre is ~ 22 gallons. So that's 10.8p per pint. Less for small breweries.

It was even cheaper in my dads working mens club.About six pints to the pound of Fed Ordinary.
But dont supermarkets have to pay duty/vat as well ?
I once considered (1998)taking over the tenancy of a north London pub until I found out Weatherspoons around the corner were selling it cheaper than I could buy it for from the brewery (landlord).Also no option at all.Ihad to buy my beer from them,Spirits though,I was allowed to buy from anywhere.

Yes as well as it being hard work even with the help of min wage staff.
Costs have ballooned in recent years ie cost of premises buy/rent also el/pl insurance also cost of heat/light ect, ect, ect.
I fear for the future of a great British institution
That said it also seems alot of todays younger generation are not interested in pubs anymore,So perhaps market forces would kill em off anyway ??
The last real inovation was big screen sports.Nowadays its tinnies from the supermarket, A takeaway. Your mates around and feet up at home infront of the giant widescreen hd tv.
Very cheap compared to an afternoon in the pub.

Idiots. Make the most of your youth. Time they are our age pubs will be closed or charging £9 a pint and moaning that in their day a round of 6 beers was £30.

Cheapest pint i ever drunk was when i returned home near Newcastle in 1994 to find my dad a keen wine maker had taken up brewing, Loads of kegs gas bottles the lot!!!
To celebrate my christmas homecoming visit he brewed a very very nice beer.Got all the ingredients from the local homebrew shop later told me the price worked out at £0.04p per pint.

Boy oh boy was it nice

Both of my kids he 29 she 21 rarely go to the pub, normally for food and don't buy ale and all their friends are the same the only time they drink is on holiday abroad

My son is 22 and few of his mates (male and female) drink even when on holiday, they also do not drive and are quite happy using public transport, they seem to be the exact opposite of my generation i couldn't wait to get my first motorcycle and after paying the loan each month most of the money left was spent in the pubs.

Back