Secret Santa 2019 Reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished enjoying my 1st swap.
A bit darker and clearer than I was expecting for a neipa but I haven't tried the alchemist original.
The mouthfeel is very soft/smooth and both the abv and ibus are very well hidden.
Thanks Santa , nice beer! acheers.
View attachment 22040
That was mine. Glad you liked it. The recipe I used didn't call for any oats or wheat malt so I think that affected the appearance. I made another NEIPA just after that one that had oats and wheat malt and it looks more like a classic NEIPA should.

NEIPA
View attachment 22141
Wow. Just wow. This is a lovely beer. A deep orange colour, slightly cloudy (I did get a bit carried away and probably poured some sediment but perfect for style). The aroma is gorgeous, big bold American hops. Flavour wise again deep citrus hops leaping out of the glass balanced by the malt (I’d love to see the recipe of this one). Most impressive is that despite the 80+IBU it is perfectly balanced. Merry Christmas good Sir, or Lady. :beer1:
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. The recipe is available on the American homebrewers association website.

Here is my review for the bottle I got:

nice creamy white head
very clear amber colour
yeasty smell? but generally not much to me on the nose.
quite highly carbonated
slightly sweet, with a malty fruity background a just a edge of bitterness at the end
very nice drinkable ale.
Thanks a lot to the sender!

IMG_20191231_202003.jpg
IMG_20191231_202051.jpg

Thanks to everyone who got involved in the swap this year, please post your reviews here. The tasting period runs from now until the 1st Jan :hat:
Thanks for organising this and to all those who participated. This was my first beer swap and is a highlight of my Christmas. Waiting for the postman each day whilst seeing others receive beers, expectantly opening the package, looking in wonder at someone's creation, counting the days to the first sip, nervously watching all the reviews - creative, constructive and appreciative; posting my reviews. I found the whole process brilliant, it has concreted my desire to brew more beer and I look forward to joining many more swaps.
Happy New Year and Cheers acheers.

Thanks for organising this and to all those who participated. This was my first beer swap and is a highlight of my Christmas. Waiting for the postman each day whilst seeing others receive beers, expectantly opening the package, looking in wonder at someone's creation, counting the days to the first sip, nervously watching all the reviews - creative, constructive and appreciative; posting my reviews. I found the whole process brilliant, it has concreted my desire to brew more beer and I look forward to joining many more swaps.
Happy New Year and Cheers acheers.
Glad you enjoyed it :hat:

Is anyone still waiting for their beer to be reviewed?

Review 1
Black sheepish too - 4.5% bitter

I had already had a few before I poured this and have limited experience drinking bitter. Tasted and looked like how I expect a bitter to be. Low carbonation, mild flavour profile, very subtle aroma. Whomever sent it would no doubt be able to give a better description but to my limited knowledge of the style, I couldn't fault the beer.

Review 2
Secret santa beer - 7.2% IPA

Arrived in a pringles tube, if that helps identify?
Initial pour looked good. A tad fizzy for the style. Aroma was of lemon/citrus. Very thin for the style and abv. Lacked balance, hence the thinness. As a consequence, the beer had a very boozy taste. It also tasted quite green. No idea when it was bottled. Perhaps I opened too soon as I didn't bother waiting until Xmas day.

Review 1
Black sheepish too - 4.5% bitter

I had already had a few before I poured this and have limited experience drinking bitter. Tasted and looked like how I expect a bitter to be. Low carbonation, mild flavour profile, very subtle aroma. Whomever sent it would no doubt be able to give a better description but to my limited knowledge of the style, I couldn't fault the beer.

Review 2
Secret santa beer - 7.2% IPA

Arrived in a pringles tube, if that helps identify?
Initial pour looked good. A tad fizzy for the style. Aroma was of lemon/citrus. Very thin for the style and abv. Lacked balance, hence the thinness. As a consequence, the beer had a very boozy taste. It also tasted quite green. No idea when it was bottled. Perhaps I opened too soon as I didn't bother waiting until Xmas day.

Blacksheepish Too was from me. It his based on a clone recipe of Blacksheep bitter but varied a bit to suit ingredients I had in stock. It's the second time I have brewed it, hence the 'Too'. I'm not going to try to describe it, I'm know good at describing beers, but it is a lot like Blacksheep bitter.

Still quite a few not reviewed, come on lads I shouldn't have to tell you lot to drink up :beer1:

Latest posts

Back