Secret Santa 2021

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The time has come for this year’s Secret Santa beer swap! Strange-Steve has made this a massive success over the last four years and hopefully this year will be no different. So the sensible thing seems to be to run things along the same lines as in the past.

If anyone hasn’t been involved before the process is really simple. A few weeks before Christmas you send off a beer to one or two of the other forum members and you will get one or two beers back in return. All beers are sent anonymously or else it wouldn’t be a secret!
The swap is open to all types of brewers, from kits to all grain, beginners to old hands. Don't be put off by the thought of your beer being reviewed, it’s Christmas and positive and constructive feedback is expected. This is not the place for a competition style deconstruction.

If you’re up for joining in this year’s fun post "I'm in" or something similar below and send me a PM with your postal details. After the closing date I will PM everyone with the addresses to send your beer to. The closing date for this years entries will be Friday 3rd December allowing 2 weeks to package and post your bottle(s) before the last postal date for Christmas (Friday 17th December). I recommend sending before Monday 13th if possible, I had a breakage in the post last year and there was still time to get a replacement bottle out in time for Christmas Eve.

Last year 46 people swapped 83 beers, so that’s the target to beat this year.
Unfortunately, in previous years one or two no-shows cropped up. Last year Steve limited entry to members with a 20+ post count. It seemed to work so we’ll run with that again.

The review thread will open on Christmas Eve, in the meantime happy brewing every one.

FAQ.

How do I package a bottle for posting?
A small box, around shoe box size or smaller, or a pringles tube, with plenty of bubble wrap is sufficient. This should be within the small parcel category and costs £3.20 for 2nd class up to 2kg. Mark the box "fragile". Put your postcode on it as the return address, you don't need to include your name.

[Update from @The-Engineer-That-Brews, pre-printed labels cost £3 and are available here Royal Mail Click & Drop | Send an item - Buy, Print, Drop, cheers TETB:hat:]

What do I tell the post office when they ask what's in the package?
Just be honest, you can send alcohol as long as it's less than 24% abv and no more than 1 litre.

What info should I include with the bottle?
As much detail as you want, however I think beer name and style should be the minimum. Don't include anything that gives away the sender, remember it's a secret swap.

I received my swap and it's smashed, now what?
Unfortunately breakages do happen, send me a message and I’ll try to sort it out. In previous years a couple of people very kindly volunteered as back-up senders if the original Santa was unable to get another beer out in time.

How does it work if I want to swap two beers?
The two beers will go to two different people so it won't matter if they're both the same, and you will receive two beers in return from two different people.

How do I keep it anonymous?
Well apart from the obvious (don't put your name on the bottle/packaging), don't mention in this thread what you might be sending, and if someone posts here saying they received a bottle which you sent, don't "like" the post. Also, if you have a brewday thread of your beer, give it a different name when you send it. The beer you receive will not be from the person you sent to. It's not possible to keep it completely anonymous, but we'll try our best.

Can you ensure my dietary requirements are catered for, vegan/lactose/gluten free etc?
Sorry I can't guarantee that, my advice is if you have a specific dietary requirement then sit this one out.

I don't like stout/sours/wheat beers etc, can you make sure I don't get one of these?
That would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to organise, so nope I'm afraid I can't cater to preference either. I would say only enter if you're willing to try any beer, there have been instances in the past of people saying "I don't like the style I received so I gave it away" which isn't really fair to the sender.

I'm in Ireland/France/Tasmania, can I enter?
Unfortunately the postage cost to/from these places are probably prohibitive and so this will be for our UK members only. Sorry.

I missed the closing date, can I still enter?
It will be too late for the big swap, but we’ve relied on back up senders in previous years. Drop me a PM, you can still get involved and receive an anonymous beer in return.

Any other questions, feel free to ask here.

Last edited:
Actually, £3.00 if you’re tight like me and go for the Royal Mail’s click and drop service and print the label at home… Royal Mail Click & Drop | Send an item - Buy, Print, Drop

Thanks for that @The-Engineer-That-Brews. I’ll update the FAQ.

Selling like hot cakes this year!

The early interest has been great, we could be on for a record breaking year. I’ll post a list of the runners and riders in a day or two so everyone can check I haven’t missed anyone out.

Latest posts

Back