Secret Santa Beer Swap 2020!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
Well here we are again, halloween is out of the way with only one more stupid holiday left before we can put finally put this crappy year behind us. But that also means it's nearly time for the annual Secret santa swap! The swap has been a big success over the last few years and hopefully this year will be just as popular.

For those that are new, the idea is that you will anonymously send a beer to a forum member and in return you will receive a mystery brew from someone else. Then on or around Christmas day you can sample the beer and post a review or some brief comments on the beer in the review thread.

This is open to all types of brewers, from kits to AG, beginners to old hands. Don't be put off by the thought of your beer being reviewed, the idea isn't for a competition style deconstruction but rather some positive and constructive feedback, and more importantly the opportunity to try another brewer's beer.

So if this sounds like something you'd be interested in post "I'm in" or something similar below and send me a PM with your postal details. After the closing date I will PM you with an address to send your beer to. The closing date for entries will be 4th December which will give you 2 weeks to package and post your bottle before the last recommend postal date for Christmas which is the 18th. I recommend sending before this though to allow the beer a few days to settle.

So don't be shy people, let's have your entries. Also if you'd like to swap two beers then just say so below (you'll get two in return then):hat:

Last year we had 44 people sending 84 beers, can we top that?

Unfortunately every year we have one or two no-shows, so this year only members with a 20+ post count can enter.

Cheers, Steve.

FAQ.

How do I package a bottle for posting?
A small box, around shoe box size or smaller, or a pringles tube, with plenty of bubble wrap is sufficient. This should be within the small parcel category and costs £3.10 for 2nd class up to 2kg. Mark the box "fragile". Put your postcode on it as the return address, you don't need to include your name.

What do I tell the post office when they ask what's in the package?
Just be honest, you can send alcohol as long as it's less than 24% abv and no more than 1 liter.

What info should I include with the bottle?
As much detail as you want, however I think beer name and style should be the minimum. Don't include anything that gives away the sender, remember it's a secret swap.

I recieved my swap and it's smashed, now what?
Unfortunately breakages do happen, but we will try our best to make sure you get another sent out post haste. Last year there were a couple of people who very kindly volunteered as back-up senders for this eventuality.

How does it work if I want to swap two beers?
The two beers will go to two different people so it won't matter if they're both the same, and you will recieve two beers in return from two different people.

How do I keep it anonymous?
Well apart from the obvious (don't put your name on the bottle/packaging), don't mention in this thread what you might be sending, and if someone posts here saying they received a bottle which you sent, don't "like" the post. Also if you have a brewday thread of your beer, give it a different name when you send it. The beer you receive will not be from the person you sent to. It's not possible to keep it completely anonymous, but we'll try our best.

Can you ensure my dietary requirements are catered for, vegan/lactose/gluten free etc?
Sorry I can't guarantee that, my advice is if you have a specific dietary requirement then sit this one out.

I don't like stout/sours/wheat beers etc, can you make sure I don't get one of these?
That would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to organise, so nope I'm afraid I can't cater to preference either. I would say only enter if you're willing to try any beer, there have been instances in the past of people saying "I don't like the style I recieved so I gave it away" which isn't really fair to the sender.

I'm in Ireland/France/Tasmania, can I enter?
Unfortunately the postage cost to/from these places are probably prohibitive and so this will be for our UK members only. Sorry.

Any other questions, feel free to ask here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back