Secret Santa Recipes 2021

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the recipe for the Sloe Stout I sent to @Subtle Duck and @Theoriginalrich, reviews here and here.

Recipe is for a 20L batch.

Ingredients

Grain Bill (all grains are from Crisp except for the Carafa, which is Weyermann):
  • Maris Otter - 3.2kg
  • Flaked Oats - 350g
  • Chocolate Malt - 350g
  • Light Munich Malt - 350g
  • Light Crystal Malt (56L) - 200g
  • Carafa Special III - 100g
Adjuncts (added 10mins before end of the boil):
  • Black Treacle - 450g
  • Lactose - 200g
Hops:
  • Challenger - 15g @ 60mins
  • Phoenix - 10g @ 30mins
Yeast:
  • Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale), pitched at 0.75million cells/ml
Fruit:
  • Sloes - 900g
Process

Mash:
  • 66degC for 60mins
  • 75degC for 10mins
Fermentation:
  • Primary: 20degC for 10days
  • Secondary: 20degC for 28days
Sloes:
I picked these towards the end of September, washed them and then put into sandwich bags which went into the freezer for about 6 weeks until they were needed. Before adding to the secondary, I placed them in a sauce pan with just enough water to almost cover them and then bought that to a gentle boil. Once cooled, the sloes and any juice were poured into the fermenter with the beer racked on top.

Bottling:
90g corn sugar added to entire batch in bottling bucket to give approx. 1.9 volumes of CO2.

Planned Changes

For the next attempt, I plan to add 350g of flaked barley (to aid head retention) and mash at 68degC (to increase the body and leave a touch more residual sweetness). The Maris Otter will go up to 3.3kg to account for the lower conversion at higher mash temperatures. Everything else currently planned to stay the same.

Last edited:
Here is the recipe for my Prima Donna Gold that went to @Cwrw666 and @sdt7618 . The reviews are here and here

Prima Donna Gold
OG 1046
FG 1010

BATCH_SIZE 20litres
BOIL_TIME 60mins

HOP
NAME Phoenix
ALPHA 12.91
AMOUNT 16.37g
USE Boil
TIME 60.00

HOP
NAME Home Grown Prima Donna
ALPHA 7.5 - A guess
AMOUNT 17g
USE Boil
TIME 10.00

HOP
NAME Home Grown Prima Donna
ALPHA 7.5 A guess
AMOUNT 17g
USE Aroma
TIME 0

FERMENTABLE
NAME Pale Malt, Maris Otter
AMOUNT 3.48kg
FERMENTABLE
NAME Wheat, Torrified
AMOUNT 320g

MISC
NAME Protafloc
AMOUNT 0.5tsp
TIME 15.00

YEAST
NAME Nottingham
FORM Dry

MASH
NAME Braumeister 4 step light body 76% efficiency
MASH_STEP
NAME Mash In
DESCRIPTION Add 20L of water and heat to 40.0 C
MASH_STEP
NAME Protein Mode
DESCRIPTION Heat to 52.0 C hold for 20mins
MASH_STEP
NAME Maltose mode
DESCRIPTION Heat to 63.0 C hold for 40mins
MASH_STEP
NAME Saccharification 1
DESCRIPTION Heat to 73.0 C hold for 35mins
MASH_STEP
NAME Mash Out
DESCRIPTION Heat to 78.0 C hold for 10 mins
SPARGE 6 litres at 78.0 C SPARGE

[edit]
On the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout...

Interesting. I would have said, I'd prefer US-05 or M42 to S-04 for a stout, but, as per Oneflewover's post, that's hardly a less attenuative yeast?

[edit]
On the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout...

Interesting. I would have said, I'd prefer US-05 or M42 to S-04 for a stout, but, as per Oneflewover's post, that's hardly a less attenuative yeast?
When planning the next brew of this COS, I decided to try another yeast, so bought some CML Four, for no other reason than to try something different. Looking at the specs, it seems to have potentially lower attenuation. So, I'll give this a try, plus I'll mash at 67 degC. Let's see how it turns out...

Thanks for the feedback!

When planning the next brew of this COS, I decided to try another yeast, so bought some CML Four, for no other reason than to try something different. Looking at the specs, it seems to have potentially lower attenuation. So, I'll give this a try, plus I'll mash at 67 degC. Let's see how it turns out...

Thanks for the feedback!
Hi @Begbie, having tried your stout, I like mine to be a bit sweeter and have more body so I tend to use some lactose in my stout recipes which I would recommend if keeping your mash temperature high enough is a potential issue. Regarding the yeast I have read that the CML Four is potentially the same as S-04 so you may want to look elsewhere if you want to try something different...

Hi @Begbie, having tried your stout, I like mine to be a bit sweeter and have more body so I tend to use some lactose in my stout recipes which I would recommend if keeping your mash temperature high enough is a potential issue. Regarding the yeast I have read that the CML Four is potentially the same as S-04 so you may want to look elsewhere if you want to try something different...
Hi @chrisb8, I pimped-up a MYO Irish Stout from The Range a while ago, which included lactose. I discovered that in my old age I've become lactose intolerant 🤦🏼‍♂️💩, so I try to avoid any stouts with lactose in them. Very difficult to do when you love breakfast stouts etc! Sometimes you gotta just take the (s)hit! 😂

I use a Klarstein Maischfest, which will allow me to maintain the higher mash temp. Been researching this since the feedback was given and see that I should end up with more unfermentable sugars, which will result in a higher FG. I'll give that a go, along with the CML Four. I'll definitely do another batch, so could choose a different yeast next time. If this particular batch turns out as planned, I'll send on a bottle to see what you think. 👍🏻

Hi @chrisb8, I pimped-up a MYO Irish Stout from The Range a while ago, which included lactose. I discovered that in my old age I've become lactose intolerant 🤦🏼‍♂️💩, so I try to avoid any stouts with lactose in them. Very difficult to do when you love breakfast stouts etc! Sometimes you gotta just take the (s)hit! 😂

I use a Klarstein Maischfest, which will allow me to maintain the higher mash temp. Been researching this since the feedback was given and see that I should end up with more unfermentable sugars, which will result in a higher FG. I'll give that a go, along with the CML Four. I'll definitely do another batch, so could choose a different yeast next time. If this particular batch turns out as planned, I'll send on a bottle to see what you think. 👍🏻
Sounds good and I will always be happy to send one in return athumb..

Here is the recipe for my Festive Fireside Ale

Type: All Grain
IBU : 27 (Tinseth)
BU/GU : 0.51
Colour : 38 EBC

Original Gravity : 1.053
Final Gravity : 1.012
ABV: 5.4%

Batch Size : 15 L
Boil Time : 40 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Overnight mash started at 65C

Fermentables (3.45 kg)
2.7 kg - Pale Malt, Maris Otter
280 g - Light Crystal 150
200 g - Special B
150 g - Milk Sugar (Lactose)
60 g - Chocolate
60 g - Wheat Torrified

Hops (79 g)
40 min - 20 g - East Kent Goldings
40 min - 4 g - Magnum
10 min - 25 g - East Kent Goldings

Additions
10 min - Boil - 9 g - Anise, Star
10 min - Boil - 2 items - Cinnamon Stick
10 min - Boil - 0.75 tsp - Nutmeg

Hop Stand
5 min hopstand @ 80 °C
20 g - East Kent Goldings
10 g - Citra

Yeast
1 pkg - Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell M36

This was 2 weeks in the fermenter before being keg conditioned for 2 months then bottled.

Back