Secret Santa Review Thread 2021!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I brewed this with Voss because I didn’t have temp control, my ferm fridge had a golden ale in it. It works really well. I brewed this in November too. I just pitched the yeast at 40C, wrapped it in a sleeping bag and left it to do it’s think.
it ferments so fast, and the fermentation kicks out some heat. This one reached FG in 36hours!
I think the Voss gives it a bit of a fruity aftertaste.
ETA: you can’t drink it after 36 hours, it’s rank. It needs some conditioning. Ask me how I know 😂

Thanks for that! I was imagining you'd need some temp control to use Voss, but if it's just a matter of pitching at 40 deg and wrapping it up, I daresay I could manage that! Might be fun to try. athumb..

A nice Irish Stout at 4.8%.

Poured really well with a good head. A really balanced flavour with a treacle/ caramel aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was just right for me, some Stouts almost feel like they need chewing, this was not one of them.

I’d definitely drink again.

Thanks Santa.View attachment 60517

That was me!

Have to say, compared to some of the entries I see, I could polish up my act on the presentation, that labelling looks a bit scruffy compared to many others!

I've brewed this one a couple of times, and intend to make it one of my stock beers. Not many left now, but I've saved a few for later tonight. :D Glad you liked it!

A7652167-39EC-4DAC-B369-C1980C8E2050.jpeg
Yes I know I’m late with the review - some of us have been working this week😜. Enjoying this the second of a Santa selection pack after preparing and cooking a 3kg whole salmon for tonight’s dinner. Phew needing a bit of a sit down ..

Raspberry sour 5.4%

Opened without any fizz and the bottle full to the brim was a bit of a surprise
Appearance: dark Soft crushed raspberry not in the slightest bit clear- a bit of an admission this is most definitely my favourite colour, I’ve two dresses in this, and my daughter bought me a lush pair of gloves this colour for Christmas which are 😍. So the colour is a win before I’ve even started.
Aroma: chilled super fresh raspberries on a frangipane tart- oh my ❤❤
Taste: fresh from the fridge, ok there’s raspberries but also that almond frangipane flavour continues to a warm almost toasted almond finish. There’s sharpness at the beginning of tart raspberries rested in juice with a little sugar.
Carbonation is light, enough to give a zing on the lips when sipping but not so much to be sharp on the tongue. No head as such other than transiently when poured.
Overall: this is a classy number that I’d be super proud if if made myself. I think a wee bit more carbonation and a little more sour ness would make this just about perfect.

Last edited:
View attachment 60547Yes I know I’m late with the review - some of us have been working this week😜. Enjoying this the second of a Santa selection pack after preparing and cooking a 3kg whole salmon for tonight’s dinner. Phew needing a bit of a sit down ..

Raspberry sour 5.4%

Appearance: dark Soft crushed raspberry not in the slightest bit clear- a bit of an admission this is most definitely my favourite colour, I’ve two dresses in this, and my daughter bought me a lush pair of gloves this colour fir Christmas which are 😍. So the colour is a win before I’ve even started.
Taste: fresh from the fridge, ok there’s raspberries but also that almond frangipane flavour continues to a warm almost toasted almond finish. There’s sharpness at the beginning of tart raspberries rested in juice with a little sugar.
Carbonation is light, enough to give a zing on the lips when sipping but not so much to be sharp on the tongue. No head as such other than transiently when poured.
Overall: this is a classy number that I’d be super proud if if made myself. I think a wee bit more carbonation and a little more sour ness would make this just about perfect.
H?

View attachment 60547Yes I know I’m late with the review - some of us have been working this week😜. Enjoying this the second of a Santa selection pack after preparing and cooking a 3kg whole salmon for tonight’s dinner. Phew needing a bit of a sit down ..

Raspberry sour 5.4%

Appearance: dark Soft crushed raspberry not in the slightest bit clear- a bit of an admission this is most definitely my favourite colour, I’ve two dresses in this, and my daughter bought me a lush pair of gloves this colour for Christmas which are 😍. So the colour is a win before I’ve even started.

Wow, although a raspberry sour sounds like my idea of hell, that looks great!

I'll kick things of with a Festive Fireside Ale.

A lovely dark beer with a hint of Christmas spice. Crystal clear with a cracking head.
Really enjoyed this and :hat:to the brewer.

(only problem was it disappeared too quickly :onechug:)

View attachment 60008
My second SS, a Festive Fireside Ale at 5.4%.

A slight hiss when opening and a beautiful colour, it is actually slightly lighter than in the picture.

Hints of aniseed on the nose.

A good fruity taste, it’s a cracking winter beer.

I really enjoyed this one.

Thanks Santa
View attachment 60524
This one was mine, thanks @Dads_Ale and @Mike_Burton for the great reviews, glad you liked the ale. I was really pleased with how this came out this year and have been enjoying a few myself over the festive season so I am glad you enjoyed it too athumb..

This one was mine, thanks @Dads_Ale and @Mike_Burton for the great reviews, glad you liked the ale. I was really pleased with how this came out this year and have been enjoying a few myself over the festive season so I am glad you enjoyed it too athumb..

Hi Chris, this sounds like something i'd like, would you mind sharing the recipe please?

4.6% English Bitter!

Nice hiss when opening, and seems to pour flat but then a decent head developed. Looked cloudy, but I did 'juggle' it just before opening and pouring because I'm a clumsy oaf...

Very refreshing, and reminiscent of Stones Bitter.

Thank you!

That was mine! It's not cloudy, though!

That was mine! It's not cloudy, though!

Probably a poor choice of words on my part, if I'm honest, caused by alcohol intake on the night.. There was a haze to the beer when I poured it into a glass, which didn't clear.

The main thing is I'd drink it again in a heartbeat! Apologies if I caused any offence...

Attachments

• IMG_20211226_191304.jpg
    IMG_20211226_191304.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 34
I have received both of mine and completed both reviews. Both of mine have also been received and reviewed.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back