Secret Santa Reviews 2020!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the review. That was my version of @Hopsteep 's Chocolate Stout from the Forum Christmas Brew thread. There wasn't any coconut in it, it was brewed pretty much to the recipe in the post. I have to say that although I liked the flavour and aroma I was disappointed with the lack of head and though it could have done with a touch more carbonation. I also thought it was lacking in body, despite having 7% flaked oats and being mashed at 69c.
I've got plenty of cacao nibs left so might have another go. If any one else who brewed it has any tips for increasing head retention and body then let me know !
What yeast did you use?

Add some carapils to the grain bill. How are you carbing? Priming sugar in bottles or co2 in a keg? If it's the latter, it's easy to bump the carb level up a bit. As for the body of the beer, I would have thought the lactose and oats would have done the trick.
It was bottle primed. I probably need to take more care with the amount of priming sugar. I thought the oats and lactose would take care of the body, but may be it's just my perception that it was too light.

Thank you for the review. That was my version of @Hopsteep 's Chocolate Stout from the Forum Christmas Brew thread. There wasn't any coconut in it, it was brewed pretty much to the recipe in the post. I have to say that although I liked the flavour and aroma I was disappointed with the lack of head and though it could have done with a touch more carbonation. I also thought it was lacking in body, despite having 7% flaked oats and being mashed at 69c.
I've got plenty of cacao nibs left so might have another go. If any one else who brewed it has any tips for increasing head retention and body then let me know !

Maybe a little wheat (eg 200g torrified wheat) and a little more carbonation will be enough.

It was bottle primed. I probably need to take more care with the amount of priming sugar. I thought the oats and lactose would take care of the body, but may be it's just my perception that it was too light.

An under carbed beer can taste a bit boring compared to a properly carbonated beer. I don’t mean effervescent(!), just appropriate for the style.

Water is a big factor brewing full bodied rounded English styles- did you go for a high chloride to sulphate ratio / add a big spoon of calcium chloride? 🍺

Yes, that's a good call. Although I'm wondering if others who brewed it had similar results to me
I had the same results. ZERO head. Tastes fine but the lack of head ruins it for me. I used cocoa powder in the mash instead of cocao nibs which I suspect is the culprit.

I've used nibs several times before and don't recall having any issues with head retention. Both in bottles and kegged.

I've used nibs before, no problem with the head on those beers. I couldn't find any for this brew so I chanced it with powder.

I was letting this one settle some before I drank it but figured a few days was good enough.

An oatmeal pale ale, I should have know it was going to be a neipa! Poured a nice hazy golden yellow and plenty hazy.
Aroma is straight up citrus and tropical fruit, pineapple and mango. A light malt in the background, kind of like oatmeal and honey.
Flavour is citrus fruit and tropical, leans a little more to papaya as it warms up I am getting that stronger galaxy creamy papaya/coconut flavour. It has a nice smooth pilsner malt background, but has a bit of acidic bite at the end. Reminds me a bit of the llalemand east coast yeast. It's medium high carbonation and it makes the mouthfeel nice and light. Very low bitterness to but fits the style perfectly.
I have been longing for a lighter neipa the last few days as the only one I have right now is a DIPA. This one hit that spot so Thanks! This is a really good with great aroma and went down way to fast. I only wish I had a 12 pack of this to enjoy over the next week.

I'm curious to hear what you think about the recipe? And if its posted somewhere?

20210101_142856.jpg

Back