Secret Santa Reviews 2020!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20201224_172324176.jpg

Got a bit excited on the pour and overshot the last bit. I can only apologise for the wasted beer, there is no excuse.

The beer itself is well balanced, lighter than I was expecting from a 6.5% stout. Has a smooth chocolate backbone to it with the slightest sour note at the end which cleans the palette out nicely and brings you back for more. A decent beer that would make anyone grab a second. It is a real treat to be drinking the beers made by this forum.

Thank you very much.

It has been left out as my child's offering to the real Santa. Let's hope it appeases his blood lust for another year...

My second is a tasty 5.9% chinook and citra pale.
Well carbed, clear with a nice light citrus aroma. Comes through more orangey in the flavour with some malty back up.
Very clean with decently assertive bitterness makes this very drinkable.
Another Xmas cracker, thanks santa!
acheers.
20201224_175112.jpg

IMG_20201224_182546063.jpg

Santa sent me two 330ml bottles of American Porter. It opened with a slight hiss and poured with a small mocha coloured head that quickly dispersed. Light malt aroma compared to British porters or stouts, may be a hint of toffee, very little if any hop aroma. Mouthfeel, medium body, carbonation is perfect for me, detectable but not fizzy. Flavour, as with the aroma, light roast malt, medium bitterness.
Very pleasant beer, I usually prefer pales, IPAs or bitter ales, but this fits the bill for a porter that I can enjoy.
Thank you Santa

Very excited about getting an American Amber, one of my favourite styles.
Opened with a gentle hiss, but delivered a white head that lasted until the end of the pint. Carbonation levels are spot on, I think I’m going to have to dial mine back a bit.
Pouring delivered a generous hit of hop aroma. First thing on the palate was the hop flavours and a decent level of bitterness, the malty caramel flavours come in quickly and overall are evenly balanced with hops.
Mouthfeel is medium to full, and very very drinkable.

A cracking beer, I’m definitely going to brew one of these in the New Year.
Cheers Santa :hat:

BA2734DF-1313-4F4B-B1C6-7B54A7C5B33B.jpeg

IMG_20201224_192404.jpg

First of my secret Santa beers, maybe the last at 7.6% named Totally Torby IPA.
Carbonation is on the lower side, it said keg conditioned so maybe lost a little on bottling. Light amber colour, a little hazy but could be as just out of the fridge. It has a fruity aroma and some caramel.flavour has some nice bitterness, and there are some caramel/toffee that I can taste. Hops, hmmm has maybe Amarillo or Simcoe flavour to me?. No harshness or astringency, fairly smooth. Doesn't drink like a beer of 7.6%.👍. Nice beer to drink overall, my only reservation would be the caramel type flavour so not sure of you used any crystal type malts. Cheers Santa, have a great Christmas ⛄

My first beer, in my excitement I forgot to take a picture

American amber

This beer poured a deep amber colour (as per the name), however my steady pouring gave it no head. But it did give off a beautiful aroma of sweet malt and bright orange scents. With very low carbonation, this beer looked a bit dull in the glass, however it was the complete opposite in taste. The hops came through first, very brightly, as orangey, if it’s not Amarillo then I’ll be damned. And is quickly followed and replaced by a Rich caramel maltiness, but still light, and quit a bit of residual sweetness which all blends together nicely. Overall it’s a very clean finish with just enough bitterness left in he mouth to round it all together. A very well made beer and one I would be proud of. Hats of to the brewer and many thanks for sending me one.

Merry Xmas

I'm having the first of my secret saisons tonight, the second is being kept warm for a couple more days as per instructions...

This one comes in at 7% with the cap positively looking like it's about to blow! I chilled it right down and opened it with firm hand, receiving a satisfying whoosh rather than a hiss. Carefully pouring you can see the effervescent carbonation swirling in the glass resulting in a lovely fluffy head which slowly fades to a light ring around the edge of the glass. On the nose I'm getting funky barnyard and a hint of lemony citrus and some CHEESE. The same barnyard funk comes through in the taste with a fizzy bite and an assertive bitterness, some pithyness too but no lemon. It's also lovely and dry.
IMG_20201224_200402.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with this. Probably the funkiest saison I've had to date, the first time I've noticed a 'barnyard' type taste for sure. Thank you very much, hail Santa!

No.2 had to wait, I’d a lamb dhansak after drinking my first beer. A couple of APA’s have helped clear the palate.

Chocolate Stout

Great hiss on opening the bottle, poured with a decent light tan head that dissipated fairly quickly. Carbonation level is spot on, low to medium, I’m definitely dialing back the priming sugar in the future.

Toasty malts fill the nose on pouring and invite you in for a good gargle, I do love stout! First sip does not disappoint, dark malty toasty grains fill the palate then the deep chocolate flavours come in rounding everything off. The finish is long rich and dry, with chocolate in the foreground.

The full bodied and generous mouthfeel is balanced perfectly with the dry finish. I could drink a bucket load of these :beer1:Top job by the brewer, thank you very much.

8BB7C1AA-95A1-4A5D-BA20-27B3618F153A.jpeg

First of my secret Santa's, a smash munchen. Had a note with it asking me to guess the hop..... I've tried my best!

I will caveat and say that I wasnt sure what to expect from this, however.

Pours well, thin head, quickly disappears.

Aroma- Malty, maybe some resin from the hops.

Dark amber in colour.

Taste- toasty, malty, moderate bitternes, hop resin.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, clean.

Overall, I enjoyed it, no idea what the hop is, I would have said something noble but am not sure now.... Not something I would have thought to brew myself bit may do so now, thanks Santa!

20201224_201558.jpg

One of my Santas sent me two beers, a Munich bitter and an American IPA in unmarked bottles, but judging by the flavour this one is the bitter. Very fruity yeast esters (maybe SO4 fermented on the warmer side?) and a nice toasty malt flavour. A pleasant drying bitterness lingers through the finish, and I might be mistaken, but I get the impression this is quite strong for a bitter?? Thanks for sending this, looking forward to the next one acheers.

3h3nL0X.jpg

I'm having the first of my secret saisons tonight, the second is being kept warm for a couple more days as per instructions...

This one comes in at 7% with the cap positively looking like it's about to blow! I chilled it right down and opened it with firm hand, receiving a satisfying whoosh rather than a hiss. Carefully pouring you can see the effervescent carbonation swirling in the glass resulting in a lovely fluffy head which slowly fades to a light ring around the edge of the glass. On the nose I'm getting funky barnyard and a hint of lemony citrus and some CHEESE. The same barnyard funk comes through in the taste with a fizzy bite and an assertive bitterness, some pithyness too but no lemon. It's also lovely and dry. View attachment 38218
Overall I'm very pleased with this. Probably the funkiest saison I've had to date, the first time I've noticed a 'barnyard' type taste for sure. Thank you very much, hail Santa!
Looking back at the original Secret Santa thread I’m pretty sure this one is mine (You definitely posted a picture of my bottle and I didn’t ask you to keep it warm so this must be it).

I must say I haven’t picked up much funky farmyard taste but you appear to have got more yeast in your glass than I have had recently (the bottle I had last night was almost clear). I did ramp the temperature up quite a bit in the second week though.

It was a clone recipe of Brooklyn Sorachi but I subbed out the Belgian yeast and the sugar for Belle Saison. It has a LOT of Sorachi ace in (225g) and as a result I think it’s over-bitter just slightly. I brewed it back in the summer though so the hops have faded quite a bit but still gives a nice lemony hit (and might contribute to the funk you are picking up)

20201224_205444.jpg

Finally cracked my secret santa beer! Fig stout. Opend with a little hiss and poured with a nice deep coloured head, the stout itself darker than night. Carbonation is perfect 👌 just a little tickle on the tongue.
This beer is beautiful, big, big mouth feel, sweet juicy fig first followed by a long mellow bitter thats accompanied with rich deep malts, coffee notes and a smokiness that compliments and rounds off the experience. I found myself going back in for more before the flavours had time to dissipate. The further down the pint I got I found notes of fig coming back on the aftertaste. Sublime.
An absolute cracker of a beer, i only wish I had more! If my secret santa would be so kind I would beg of him the recipe.

Thanks santa! And merry Christmas all!!

@MickDundee I thought it was yours (I used the return address to stalk via the forum map)... No idea who sent me the other saison though.

Now that you say it I recognise the sorachi ace hops. I brewed a sorachi ace rye IPA a while back which had a similar taste to it, but in a way that didn't work like in this case. I think they're an odd hop if I'm honest. I think you're right about the yeast too, I thought it was just chill haze but it didn't clear when it warmed so it must've got pretty shook up during transit.

@MickDundee I thought it was yours (I used the return address to stalk via the forum map)... No idea who sent me the other saison though.

Now that you say it I recognise the sorachi ace hops. I brewed a sorachi ace rye IPA a while back which had a similar taste to it, but in a way that didn't work like in this case. I think they're an odd hop if I'm honest.
Sorachi ace is an odd ball hop. It's like Marmite it's either love or hate. I personally like it, I don't get the massive lemon description but I do pick up a bit of dill of it

Sorachi ace is an odd ball hop. It's like Marmite it's either love or hate. I personally like it, I don't get the massive lemon description but I do pick up a bit of dill of it
I get a bit of both looking back. You know when you can't place a taste until someone points it out. Then that eureka moment!

Honeybee from Santa. Rested and cleared up since rec'd at 11c..
16088459991766706505999248157287.jpg

Small hiss on opening.

Very fine sediment but carefully poured so it ok
16088461764318354331747396431771.jpg

Aroma Belgian. Biscuit.
16088462998143623542009309734349.jpg

Flavour. Biscuit malt sweet left with honey taste on tongue.

Intresting beer.

Bitterness from hops on lips and top of mouth.

Well brewed.

A little sweet at the front and mid way through taste before bitterness arrives and light taste of honey.

Thank you again for a quality beer.

IMG_20201224_202815.jpg

My second Santa beer is a Belgian Golden strong. I was really happy to receive this as I am a fan of Belgian beers, so good start. Although it's not a style I'm particularly familiar with, Duvel is I think the only commercial version and I don't think I have had a homebrew example.
Cool bottle😐.appearance seemed a little dark for a golden strong, more of amber colour. Carbonation seemed a little light by Belgian standards. Nice fruity aroma with a Belgian yeast Character that I have smelt before, wyeast 3787 maybe? Used it in a Dubbel and smells and tastes similar. Nice and dry with good level of bitterness. I like the fact that it's dry and it seems as though you had a good fermentation as it's smooth and easy to drink even with the the high Abv. Thanks for sending, I did really enjoy it, just maybe a few extra bubbles for me. Happy Christmas ⛄

Last edited:
Very excited about getting an American Amber, one of my favourite styles.
Opened with a gentle hiss, but delivered a white head that lasted until the end of the pint. Carbonation levels are spot on, I think I’m going to have to dial mine back a bit.
Pouring delivered a generous hit of hop aroma. First thing on the palate was the hop flavours and a decent level of bitterness, the malty caramel flavours come in quickly and overall are evenly balanced with hops.
Mouthfeel is medium to full, and very very drinkable.

A cracking beer, I’m definitely going to brew one of these in the New Year.
Cheers Santa :hat:

View attachment 38207
Evening, that was one of mine. Glad you enjoyed. Happy Christmas ⛄

Latest posts

Back