Self isolating.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See OP

• I would get paid

• I wouldn't get paid

• I could afford to take time off without pay.

• I couldn't afford to take unpaid time off.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure if I would get paid Chippy, I work at a Castle which gets hundreds of thousands of visitors a year, I’m glad I’m off for a few weeks with hand surgery although there’s no cases in Scotland, yet..........

So lets put a twist on this with the flu/coronavirus thing not being that much different to some people. How would you feel if your elderly relative died because they had been infected because no quarantine rules had been in place in your town/city and it was quite a large infectious rate that was being passed around. Ps some of us on here or our partners are probably in that high risk category
Just a thought

I thought the same but didn't give the fact you are isolating yourself a thought, I guess as you'll have no sick note companies will wriggle out of paying you.
I will be seeing my boss in a few minutes so will find out if this has been discussed further up the ladder.
Not exactly hard to get.

So lets put a twist on this with the flu/coronavirus thing not being that much different to some people. How would you feel if your elderly relative died because they had been infected because no quarantine rules had been in place in your town/city and it was quite a large infectious rate that was being passed around. Ps some of us on here or our partners are probably in that high risk category
Just a thought

well my in laws are frail and in the high risk category, it will be the end of them both if they get it. can we guarantee that all carers that visit them are virus free? Note that you appear to be infectious BEFORE symptoms appear so there's not much that can be done i'd wager, until a vaccine is developed. perhaps ease off the ciggies, but i'm continuing to drink alcohol cos that kills bugs athumb..

best to minimize YOUR contact with others if you're worried. at least made them stay 2 meters away, I tell my wife to, but she often breaches my exclusion zone :eek:

Just a thought

Rate of infection is double that of flu.

Proper flu is horrendous, I developed pneumonia from it and have never been so Ill, I couldn’t walk! the facemasks unfortunately are on the whole too porous to filter out viruses from the air, they may slow down transmission from face/nose/eye touching but nothing more, you would need military grade gas masks to be truly effective!

Hahahaha. Great Joke.
We get SSP when we're ill. That's £95 or so a week. I'm not in a high paid job and work 40 hours a week. This is about 1/3 of my wage.
If i'm on this rate of pay for more than a week or so I'm up s**t-street.

I can only imagine how terrifying this is to casual workers, the self employed and people on zero hour contracts who potentially don't get the same protections I do when i'm ill.

Well your company is **** if they only pay statutory sick pay.

What option do you have if you cannot afford to lose half a months pay, its a well known fact many families here have no savings the only other option would be to take annual leave providing you have enough left to do so.

Talking about selfishness what about people going on holiday and potentially bringing this back.
I think anyone returning from a danger area are quarantined, that is what they have been doing here, the last thing I would be worried about is being paid for having two weeks in isolation, putting the onus on business owners could send some company's to the wall.
A couple of weeks hardship is better than no job at all. Dip into your savings.

I'm in sales. Normally I'm on the road every day visiting customers. With a computer and phone I can work from home, mostly. As long as my sales are moving the right way, boss will pay me.

Actually might get some sympathy sales from customers feeling sorry for me.

All the Best,
D. White

Government cover sick pay. That's what I am led to believe. Companies reclaim it.
They don't here and they don't over there, over here you can accumulate sick leave of 10 days a year if you work for 10 years you are entitled to 100 days sick leave but it doesn't transfer to money if you leave.

A couple of weeks hardship is better than no job at all. Dip into your savings

Many families here are on zero hours contracts and many also have no savings the small poll we have here shows that.

Reactions: HSD
O/K, I am not that familiar with the UK working arrangements but if I had no savings, and was on zero hours contracts, should I expect the government or an employer to bail me out. I don't think so.
As an employer I can't sack someone for stealing, and even though we have a trial period if I sack someone before the trial period is over I have to pay them severance pay, I can't offer contracts even though it could be more beneficial to the employee than paying them above award rates.
I have to pay 12% of an employees wages into superannuation, 9 times out of 10 they don't contribute a brass razoo to their super. I don't have any sympathy for those who can't look after their own finances and when things go pear shaped expect a bail out from the government or the employer.

I don't have any sympathy for those who can't look after their own finances and when things go pear shaped expect a bail out from the government or the employer.
Cool! So you don't vote Labour???

First case in Northern Ireland just been reported.
Apparently the woman in question landed in Dublin Airport and took the train from Dublin back to the North.
Health officals on both sides of the border are trying to track down who were sitting near her on the plane.

There's rumours here that they may cancel some St Patrick's days celebrations.

I don't have any sympathy for those who can't look after their own finances and when things go pear shaped expect a bail out from the government or the employer.

Wow, you come over as the type of person who would **** on a homeless rough sleeper in a shop doorway (of which we have many thousands) and tell them its their fault they are there and to get off their lazy arses and get a job.

Wow, you come over as the type of person who would **** on a homeless rough sleeper in a shop doorway (of which we have many thousands) and tell them to get off their arses and get a job.
(This actually happens here)
I wouldn't **** over anyone, I just get ****** off with people who, when the going gets tough they want to be bailed out by either the government or their employer, sound familiar?
Whining and bleating that it is anyone else's fault bar their own that they haven't put money aside doesn't cut any ice with me. I have seen people **** their money up the wall, get to retirement age and have nothing, no house, rent to pay, outgoings on food gas and electricity, end up in a caravan park. Why should I feel sorry for them, we are all in control of our own destiny.

Employers can no longer claim sick pay back from the government in the UK. Your company either has a sick pay policy where they pay you or you claim SSP. I suppose those in a difficult situation could take holidays.
What I don't understand is...if you have to take a couple of weeks off what happens if you go out afterwards and still catch it?
Also,once you've had it are you then immune it can you get it again?
Are we all fcuked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back