Self isolating.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See OP

• I would get paid

• I wouldn't get paid

• I could afford to take time off without pay.

• I couldn't afford to take unpaid time off.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't **** over anyone, I just get ****** off with people who, when the going gets tough they want to be bailed out by either the government or their employer, sound familiar?
Why should I feel sorry for them, we are all in control of our own destiny.

There are significant numbers of people who, through disability, illness, or adverse life events (such as having to care for parents or relatives and being unable to work or go to school for example) are in fact unable to control their own destiny in the way that perhaps you or I might be able to. One person’s experience is not the universal experience, and I would hope we would be open-minded in considering others who may be less fortunate in their journey through life than we have been.

Why should I feel sorry for them, we are all in control of our own destiny.

My point is there are a lot of people on low wages and zero hours contracts they are not spending every penny they have on beer and fags they are living from month to month and just surviving losing two weeks pay would mean they couldn't pay rent etc, if you think they deserve everything they get thankfully you are in a huge minority here.

There are significant numbers of people who, through disability, illness, or adverse life events (such as having to care for parents or relatives and being unable to work or go to school for example) are in fact unable to control their own destiny in the way that perhaps you or I might be able to. One person’s experience is not the universal experience, and I would hope we would be open-minded in considering others who may be less fortunate in their journey through life than we have been.

Spot on. :thumba:

I thought we were talking about those who can work not those who can't. Those who have been employed from leaving school until the present day, are they not responsible for their finances?

I need to have worked here for 6 months before I get full pay for being sick. So today and Monday I wouldn’t get paid but Tuesday I would.

My previous employer did not provide any sick pay and miraculously had the lowest absence rates of anywhere I have worked. No mysterious bad backs, duvet days or hangover Mondays, the system worked. On the one occasion I had to take a day off due to food poisoning while working away in Scotland, I was told to keep quiet about it and was paid as normal.

I once worked with someone whose philosophy on life was to borrow as much as possible, spend every penny, rent your house and car rather than own them and leave his kids with as much debt as possible. I have every sympathy with those that genuinely need assistance, but as for the feckless wastrels who just want to cheat the system and in doing so, cheat you and me out of our hard earned, they deserve nothing.

In short treat 'the system' as you would have it treat you and vice versa.

You were lucky mate - thing you could accidentally broke a leg or something similar long term sick, not from your fault and no sick pay - I would assume you have savings or other means to live just on a statutory sick pay?

For some reason people believe, that majority of people that get a help from government are scum bags and fraudsters. When reality is much different. So happy I don't live in US.

It was because they knew that I worked hard and didn't take liberties, someone who regularly tried it on would not have been treated so well.

I thought we were talking about those who can work not those who can't. Those who have been employed from leaving school until the present day, are they not responsible for their finances?
Yes but not their circumstances or the hand that life deals them.
I’m not judging anyone but until you have been through real hardships with health or finances it’s easy to sit on a higher perch.

...I think it's all about the give/contribute nothing but take all,because they can lot...those who are in a desperate situation should be looked after.
You don't know when or if things will change...

Government cover sick pay. That's what I am led to believe. Companies reclaim it.
Really? I thought they reimbursed statutory sick pay and your employer made up the rest. But that was a long time ago and things may well have changed for the better.
(Not bad, hey? I haven;t done any acid, weed or mind altering funny stuff and I can say that; and I'm not even ******)

...I think it's all about the give/contribute nothing but take all,because they can lot...those who are in a desperate situation should be looked after.
You don't know when or if things will change...
Like those on their death beds who have their benefits stopped because they can't attend a job centre or they can't prove that they've applied for ten thousand jobs in the last three minutes?

Really? I thought they reimbursed statutory sick pay and your employer made up the rest. But that was a long time ago and things may well have changed for the better.
(Not bad, hey? I haven;t done any acid, weed or mind altering funny stuff and I can say that; and I'm not even ******)

That's what I meant, they cover the statutory part.

Yes but not their circumstances or the hand that life deals them.
I’m not judging anyone but until you have been through real hardships with health or finances it’s easy to sit on a higher perch.
The only hardship, which shouldn't be a hardship, is taking the two weeks off work and isolate, that's all, the sky isn't going to fall.
The last thing to be worrying if they get paid or not, whether by the government or their employer, its about doing the sensible thing.
I have been through bad health having cancer which was inoperable by the time it was discovered and metastatic, so it had spread throughout my body, it isn't cheap if you get sick over here, if you need an urgent operation you have to pay upfront. Fortunately on two counts I was lucky, I didn't need an operation and the drug used on me, which cost $9,000 AUD every 6 weeks for two years, I got for free on a trial. Out of over 11,000 people in the Asia Pacific region there is only a handful of us which recovered.

What option do you have if you cannot afford to lose half a months pay, its a well known fact many families here have no savings the only other option would be to take annual leave providing you have enough left to do so.

Talking about selfishness what about people going on holiday and potentially bringing this back.
Right! Why the hell do people take the risk? All for some sun and a tan...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back