Self isolating.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See OP

• I would get paid

• I wouldn't get paid

• I could afford to take time off without pay.

• I couldn't afford to take unpaid time off.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately some families have no savings, and have to rely on short term, poorly paid contract work with no spare income to build savings up. Add to that high rent and the spectre of eviction, CCJs etc looms. These people aren't sat on their butts and not contributing, but will be seriously impacted from a loss of earnings due to the cov19 virus, these people do get up and go to work and try to do the best they can for themselves and family. Its got nothing to do with "Destiny". Clear and decent leadership from the government and employers needed.

Boris has announced SSP will now begin on day one not four as it did before.

Employees will get statutory sick pay (SSP) from their first day off work rather than the fourth as part of government plans to stem the spread of coronavirus, the prime minister has announced.

Boris Johnson said people who self-isolate are helping to protect others from the virus and should not be “penalised for doing the right thing”. The move is part of the government’s emergency legislation.

He said in today’s prime minister’s questions in Parliament: “As yesterday’s plan made clear, we’re not at the point yet where we’re asking large numbers of people to self-isolate but that of course may come if large numbers of people have the symptoms of coronavirus.

“And, if they stay at home, the House will understand that they are helping to protect all of us by slowing the spread of the virus, and that is what the best scientific evidence tells us.

“If they stay at home and if we ask people to self-isolate they may lose out financially. So I can today announce that the health secretary will bring forward, as part of our emergency coronavirus legislation, measures to allow the payment of statutory sick pay from the very first day you are sick instead of four days under the current rules.

“And I think that’s the right way forward. Nobody should be penalised for doing the right thing.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/coronavirus-sick-pay/

Reactions: HSD
Just been told today we would be paid, in all circumstances unless we chose to go to a country or location that the FCO are suggesting we don't.

I could prob squeeze a month or two with no pay, but we'd be screwed any longer, and would mean hitting an overdraft or cards.

SSP is insignificant compared with the uk average salary. It’s a disgrace really. My fiancé has been on SSP now for 2 months because of anxiety and stress. She has been a high rate tax payer for the last 7/8 years. Her company don’t have a sick pay policy so all she receives is SSP. She now gets about 10% of her salary to live off asad1 she’s paid more in tax that a lot of people earn and now that she genuinely needs support that’s how the system treats her. With a mortgage to pay for and bills ect we are really struggling.

A far better system would be one where businesses do not pay employees SSP, but the government pays it, and the amount is based on your tax contributions you’ve paid up to the point of becoming ill. Just my 2 pence worth...

So I find the governments emergency legislation a bit of a joke really. asad.

I am lucky with 6 months paid leave and a further 6 months on application.
My wife is self employed so gets nothing. She has insurance that covers her business needs and pays out sickness, it's really cheap and j would advise anyone that doesn't get a good deal with their employer to get their own policy

I am lucky with 6 months paid leave and a further 6 months on application.

We get 6 months full pay then 6 months half pay after 5 years of service, between 1 and 4 years i think its 1 month full 1 month half to 4 months full 4 months half.

Its just been announced (on 5live) the first U.K victim has died apparently they haven't been abroad or in contact with anyone they knew had been.-

Patient with underlying health conditions becomes first person with coronavirus to die in the UK, hospital says

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back