September 2019 Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sixth entry from @MackemBrew makes it just in time. Tomorrow is apple-pressing day, so the judging might happen then depending on how long it takes to check, scrat and press.

Apologies to those waiting with bated breath, as we ended up with more fruit than anticipated. Managed to press 55L of apple juice and 6.5L of grape juice, but it took ages and I'm too tired to do justice to the judging anyway. I'll get it done in the week.

Will get this done tonight. Four of us reviewing, including me, an experience home-brewer, a beer enthusiast and a professional brewer.

Last edited:
So, it's the moment you've all been waiting for. Big thanks to @dan125 , @MackemBrew , @MickDundee , @pilgrimhudd , @samale and @Grizzly Notations. We all enjoyed tasting and picking apart the beers, and scoring them out of 50 (3 for appearance, 12 aroma, 20 flavour, 5 mouthfeel and 10 overall, as per BJCP). There were some very nice beers, and some with significant flaws. I'll write up the notes and send them off tomorrow, but for now drumroll please....

In third place, with 28/50, is @pilgrimhudd with his NEIPA.
In joint first place with 35/50 are @dan125 and @MickDundee with their American pales.

Each was scored independently, and Dan and Mick got the same score, but talking afterwards, two of us preferred Dan's because of it's beautiful American hop aroma which just sang, while two preferred Mick's because of the flavour. Congratulations to both.

Thanks @IainM chuffed that my beer did so well. Congrats to @dan125 for making me share the glory :laugh8:

If I’m honest I think it’s the best beer I’ve made but a couple of things my nitpicky self would like to improve (it fermented lower than I had planned so would mash higher next time to let the Vienna flavour through more and I never seem to get enough aroma from my dry hop regardless of how much I use).

Last edited:
Thanks @IainM chuffed that my beer did so well. Congrats to @dan125 for making me share the glory :laugh8:

If I’m honest I think it’s the best beer I’ve made but a couple of things my nitpicky self would like to improve (it fermented lower than I had planned so would mash higher next time to let the Vienna flavour through more and I never seem to get enough aroma from my dry hop regardless of how much I use).

No worries Mick. If there was more hop aroma then it would've been the winner. I'll get the notes written up when I can.
Cheers,
Iain

Latest posts

Back