Session Ale recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archno1

Reaction score
Please could I have any recommendations for good hoppy session ale to try next. I have recently brewed the Woodforde's Admiral Reserve, which is nice, but a little on the strong side when having a few! I thought about the Young's APA, but even that looks to be a bit strong. I see that Wilko have one called 'Feeling Hoppy'. Has anyone tried this one and what is the verdict please?

Cheers

I had this bought for me as a gift, it's still in a barrel as I've not go around to tasting it proper. I do know one thing, with the measly amount of hops it comes with for dry hopping you might want to think about bunging in your own hops too. I chucked a mix of Apollo and Admiral that I had in the freezer. I'm going to leave it till about November to try again.

Probably my favourite session beer is Brewdog's Dead Pony IPA, so I thought I'd try this;
https://bit.ly/3ieWTQSComes in a bit higher at 4.5% compared to the original at 3.8%, but I have high hopes for it.

Unfortunately, I can't give you an idea of what it's like as it's currently conditioning! Another 2/3 weeks and I'll post a review.

Mangrove Jack's Juicy Session IPA is very good.

I had this bought for me as a gift, it's still in a barrel as I've not go around to tasting it proper. I do know one thing, with the measly amount of hops it comes with for dry hopping you might want to think about bunging in your own hops too. I chucked a mix of Apollo and Admiral that I had in the freezer. I'm going to leave it till about November to try again.
Thanks Portreath, that's useful to know. Hope it turns out well.

Probably my favourite session beer is Brewdog's Dead Pony IPA, so I thought I'd try this;
https://bit.ly/3ieWTQSComes in a bit higher at 4.5% compared to the original at 3.8%, but I have high hopes for it.

Unfortunately, I can't give you an idea of what it's like as it's currently conditioning! Another 2/3 weeks and I'll post a review.

Mangrove Jack's Juicy Session IPA is very good.
Thanks GhostShip, I'm partial to Brewdog Punk IPA, so may give the Dead Phony a try. I've heard Mangrove Jack's is also a good brand, so will look into their beers too. Cheers

You could try a basic pale ale kit and add a hop tea to it using whatever hop you fancy. EKG gives you lovely floral aromas, First Gold gives citrussy marmaladey flavour (my favourite citrus hop flavour), Cascade gives you grapefruity citrus flavours and of course there's plenty of others.

You could try a basic pale ale kit and add a hop tea to it using whatever hop you fancy. EKG gives you lovely floral aromas, First Gold gives citrussy marmaladey flavour (my favourite citrus hop flavour), Cascade gives you grapefruity citrus flavours and of course there's plenty of others.
Thank you, I have thought about trying a hop tea. Cheers

Latest posts

Back