Session IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone brewed a good one of these? I had hoped the GEB Crisp English IPA would be a good go-to for a dry hoppy lower alcohol summer quaffer. It's definitely a nice beer, but way off the mark for what I was looking for. Here's my first go at redressing the balance. The plan; more interesting the grain bill with a bit of caraplis to plump up the body and improve head retention, a decent addition of simcoe to get the the IBU's to something over and above the OG, and Notty yeast for well attenuated finish. I find the drier finishing beers a lot more morish. Water profile will be sulphate forward and mash temp at the higher end to promote body and mouthfeel over fermentables.
I still consider myself an enthusiastic novice and wee beers can be tricky to get right, so any advice as always will be greatly appreciated:hat:

Attachments

• On the sesh.pdf
    892.5 KB · Views: 89
Hi Alastair you raise some good points there, i have never thought of getting the ibu's over the og, i agree with using notty it is such a good yeast as in you know what you will get, it's like life the simple recipes are the hardest to do bitter is a fine example session beer is an art form

For what it's worth I'd be mashing a bit lower if you are after a drier finish, and whilst notty certainly attenuates well and is reliable it is very bland and tends to mute hops. I've enjoyed mj liberty bell if you are using dried yeast. I also reckon that you should think about moving some of the hops to later in the process. I'm not sure about the carapils, but each to their own. Water profile is key and I think that you are on the right lines. Having said all of that I'm no expert either and have never nailed this style to my satisfaction!

Cheers for that. Liberty Bell is definitely a good shout, I’ll shift some of the hops to later in the schedule too. I’m going to get this on the go next weekend, think I might pick up a few Farmegeddon Session IPAs for later for a final taster before locking in the recipe. It’s rather tasty, and they list their malts and hops on the label.

Hi Alistair
What's the difference between a heavily hopped pale to a session IPA

Good question, and a bit philosophical for this time of the morning. I suppose it's more terminology than a true difference in style with session more associated with American styles, I could be very wrong on that but.
I'm reminded of the Joey Dunlop joke - "Is that a pavlova or a meringue?" "Your not wrong Joey, it's definitely pavlova". (Needs to be told with a thick north Antrim accent).

Brew Dog published all their recipes online so you can make a version of Dead Pony Club if that takes your fancy. I'll see if I can find it.

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/dead-pony-club

DIY-Dog. Good call, I'll add a couple to the shopping list later have a look at the recipe when I'm drinking them.

Latest posts

Back