Setting up a temp controlled fridge and brew bench...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifty

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, brand new at this. I'm in NZ if I use any pricing etc...
So I bought a Brewzilla all-grain brewing device recently, and while I was waiting for it to arrive I started gearing up my mini-brewery. I grabbed an old fridge at the dump for $20 cos I liked the styling. I was only intending to use it as an insulated box with a small heating element, but when I wired it up it ran beautifully, so I have heating and cooling available... athumb..

7qS1Zco.jpg

The interior door was buggered quite badly damaged. I thought of replacing it with a flat sheet of plastic but the shelves would be useful for bottle conditioning, so looked at patching it up to re-use...
58AbSLS.jpg

Just laid fibreglass tape around the edge and filled with epoxy...
ByUJsgG.jpg

And it cleaned up well with a bit of a sand...
WykJyHz.jpg

And the seal was in surprisingly good nick, bit of a scrub in some bleach and it cleaned up ok...
moqFd76.jpg

Came together well...
rUJSlEX.jpg

Then gave the door a sand and bombed it with some Rust-Oleum paint and clear coat...
ibyP9L7.jpg

j6gkkfL.jpg

Was a Prestcold brand. Think the new name is an improvement... 😀
f9NyJtE.jpg

ejR4m1x.jpg

And made up a label for under the handle...
rRv3pU4.jpg

And it looks sweet...
E1cmjNf.jpg

I've ordered a 45W heating element, but as it hasn't arrived I chucked a $10 reptile heating lamp (50w) in to get things running...
onZc2Xi.jpg

And fitted a s/s plate above it to dissipate the heat a bit, avoiding a hot spot directly above the lamp...
r6Z2HK0.jpg

And my PIR controller also hasn't arrived, so I hooked up an Inkbird controller, fitted a coupe of glands for the heating and temp sensor cables...
GX4QDmp.jpg

Came out so good I bought another one ($25). As a fermenting fridge plus a conditioning fridge will make things easier...
RA1gWSx.jpg

Last edited:
Also did some building, turned this...
MUP5l6g.jpg

into this...
x8QCQ0Z.jpg

Has different levels to help with sparging, siphoning etc, plus storage for bins underneath. Bit of a gamble design-wise before I've actually done any brewing, but should work out ok. Cleared out a corner of the garage to put it in...
EHTuCDV.jpg

And put down a brew last week. Simple all-grain APA, with NZ hops...
pSrW8bM.jpg

And malt pipe lifted for sparging mid process...
5wd00gL.jpg

Into the fermenting bucket...
ZSutPON.jpg

Original gravity came out around 1.058, pretty good sugar levels I think...?
uOc7g1H.jpg

And into the brew fridge. No airlock fitted here yet, bucket had just been lifted in after pitching yeast once it had cooled to 21 deg C, almost exactly 20 litres of wort...
q1nCbOM.jpg

And ticking away doing its thing. My lovely little yeast cells are making things bubble away...
XdFAwWm.jpg

So will hold at 20 degs for 10-14 days. Will take gravity readings later on then siphon into bottling bucket, add conditioning sugar and bottle. Then another couple of weeks...

Took about 6hrs as it was my first time and I had initial equipment cleaning to do etc, I'll get better as I have learned how the temps go now, and I'll be able to multitask once things are under way. Been interesting so far. No doubt I will learn lots from this forum... 🙂

Last edited:
Cheers. Yep I'll tidy up the wiring after this brew, still not sure of best placement of temp probe etc. The bench is outdoor rated timber too so I can push it outside on nice days, plus not worry about getting it wet during the process. The biggest thing I learned was to check taps are closed. Spilled a bit of water inside the garage on my first run... 🙂

Actually my first question is this.
I used half a whirlfloc tablet so there was quite a bit of sediment floating about post boil. I whirlpooled and let things settle a bit before using the tap to drain into the fermenter bucket. I stopped before the 'bits' went into the bucket, leaving about 3 litres of murky sludge in the Brewzilla.

Should I have included this? Is this where the flavours come from? Is there any harm or benefits either way? Thinking now I should have used it, but I have no clue at all.
Cheers...

[Edit] Did some research, lots of info on this and quite a few experiments have been carried out. Interestingly transferring trub from kettle to fermenter seems to aid clarity. Here's the outcome of one experiment...

"For those who tend to prefer clearer and crisper beers with potentially sharper bitterness, consider not worrying too much about the amount of kettle trub you transfer to the carboy. Alternately, those who enjoy slightly smoother bitterness and don’t mind a bit more haze in their beer may want to continue investing a little more effort in transferring only the clearest wort to their fermentor."

Interesting...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back