Shank Compatibility

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone know anything about the compatibility of shank with different taps? I have a Krome dispense stout tap from Brew UK and need a longer shank. I assumed they would be universal but noticed that the shank I bought for my regular taps are different and don't fit the stout one whereas on the website Brew UK recommends the same shank for all of their taps. Tried calling a few times but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Not going to be very helpful but I got a chiller that came with two taps. I assumed I would be able to swap out with whatever tap I wanted but came a cropper similar to you. Issue I have is the shank or connector part to the tap has a deeper bit of metal before connecting to the tap.

I would be interested if the more technical among the users can explain if there are such things as shank adapters so I wouldn't have to change the shank itself as it'll get quite involved.

Not going to be very helpful but I got a chiller that came with two taps. I assumed I would be able to swap out with whatever tap I wanted but came a cropper similar to you. Issue I have is the shank or connector part to the tap has a deeper bit of metal before connecting to the tap.

That seems to be the case with mine too. My original flow control taps came on a slow boat from China complete with 2" shanks via eBay IIRC. At some point I ordered longer shanks probably also ebay and as these fit ok didn't give it a second thought. It's only now that I am having a go at a keezer and need to buy something longer for the stout tap to fit through the collar that I have noticed neither the 2" nor 4" fit the stout tap.

Looking at close ups of photos it seems that shanks on Intertaps which seem to be a well known brand don't have that deeper gap you described and so I guess if most shanks sold by
UK distributors are of that type they would also fit the Krome stout tap.

Back