Sharing experiments results

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itry

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi. I have been doing some experiments and wanted to share the results with you.

So some time ago i modified my maxi cooler. I use it with a brewbelt cooler. Great sucess its on here. For crashing beer. I dont have space for a dedicated brew fridge that can hold a 25l fermentor.

I figured id try to use this invention to cool this weekends brew for pitching the yeast. It didnt work it was far far to under powered. I will now make a new tool for that. I really dont like the amount of water it wastes when dropping the temp so id like a self contained option.

Second. Put my brew in the fermentasauraus and purged with co2 then sat it on 20psi for the ferment. No idea why just though lets see. The yeast wants to be brewed at 18c . So i added my maxi invention to it and controlled that with an ink bird. So far it seems to acctually be working. Inside the brewbag i will probably be putting a small element aswell for when it gets cold.

I think that is as far as a controlled ferment temp i will get with out a official chiller.

I think this should also work when using with a ssbrewtec unitank.

Attachments

• 20190910_201150.jpg
    20190910_201150.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190908_165421.jpg
    20190908_165421.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190908_183812.jpg
    20190908_183812.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 67
Could you clarify the first bit about the brew belt, I think there's a typo. Never heard of this device, what is it? (I'm also thinking about space required for a brew fridge!)

Regarding water wasted when chilling the wort - yeah, I know what you mean. One idea I had is to make a second wort chiller - the first goes in the wort as normal, the other goes in a bucket or picnic cooler of ice and meltwater. Closed circuit, use a pump to recirculate the coolant (probably water).

Just a thought athumb..

You would need an insane amount of electricity to save a relatively small amount of water to chill boiling wort. But for cooling fermenters the maxi chillers are great just expensive compared to fridges. I have no idea what would be best for heating or how/where you would add an element. I did wonder if an electric blanket would work. Thanks for sharing.

Back