Shaving brushes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recently got back into using a pot of shaving soap, after finding it better than shaving cream / gel in an aerosol can. Initially, I was using some fancy pants stuff from the body shop that the good lady got me for Christmas, but when I went to get some more, it was about a tenner a pot; thought balls to that, and went back to gel. However, an impulse purchase of some bog standard Wilkinson sword stuff for a couple of quid sorted that as it's just as good. My problem now is shaving brushes. They seem to last about five minutes. So I typed quality shaving brushes into Google, and some of the things are over a ton!!!! So, for someone tight like me , is there a good quality, reasonably priced shaving brush anywhere that people can recommend?

I've just had a look at mine which is in its 8th year. But I can't see a brand name. It's nice. But it wouldn't have been stupidly expensive. It's only a plastic handle. (Very hard plastic)

I'd suggest looking for a barbers supply shop. Or just go to a barbers and ask if they'll sell you one.

As a separate point. My hairdresser told me that hair conditioner is amazing as a shaving lube.

Years ago they seemed to be "badger hair"...
I've not had a proper shave for at least 15 years...I hack it off with a trimmer attachment on an old electric razor. That's mostly due to the fact I wear a respirator/ppe in work sometimes and work in "clean room" conditions...
When I leave that I'm growing a hillbilly beard....I can't f@#£ing wait...

I use a double edge razor (moderately priced) with an expensive shaving soap (makes a hell of a difference). I’ve used badger hair before but they fall to bits after a few months. I now use a synthetic brush (can’t remember the brand but it’s a skull or something on the logo) which is a good 3 years old and still going

Boar bristle brushes are a good compromise between the synthetic ones and the expensive silvertip badger hair brushes. Look after them and they will last years.

I use a Muhle Silvertip, and while the initial outlay was somewhat large, I’ve been using it for 7 years and it’s still going strong.

Also regarding the cost of soap. Even the £10+ bowls of soap work out cheaper per shave than buying shaving cream, and if you get into using DE blades the savings over cartridge razor blades can be immense.

And it turns an everyday chore into pure luxury.😀

Have a look at Badger and Blade. I’ll warn you though it’s a massive wormhole, much like home brew forums

Last edited:
hair conditioner is amazing as a shaving lube.
I'm always ready to do some crazy s*** if it might make sense and I can verify for myself that hair conditioner works like a charm. And it's not just a day-old beard. I had a four-day, tough beard and I let a regular hair conditioner loose on my face for three minutes before I stared shaving. No difference than an expensive shaving cream. Well done on the tip @Joust .

I don’t use a shaving brush as I use king of shaved shaving gel which doesn’t foam.

A bit off topic, as I discovered during lockdown the chap who founded the company, his mum used to be my teacher in primary school!

I read the title as “shaving bushes”. I’m disappointed by the actual thread.

Man after my own heart

I have one of these, its cheap but does the job

1600324550148.png

I bought one in Body shop about 7 or 8 years ago and is still working (as for their shaving soap it tends to end up in their semi regular buy one get one half price or two for three promotions which makes it a bit more reasonable).

Shaving is something I do every day, a number of years ago I was told buy decent kit and it'll repay dividends.

Glad I did, at that time shaving was causing irritation, but sorted that out with decent razor, blades, brush and shaving cream.

Have a couple of Edwin Jagger razors
Brushes, (have 3) Omega, 2 x Semogue (picked up abroad on holiday)
Blades, a selection.
Shaving cream, Taylors of Bond Street.

Blades and cream, stock up once a year, from ...

https://connaughtshaving.com/brush.html

Beware buying too cheaply.

“The Sam Vimes "Boots" Theory of Economic Injustice runs thus:
At the time of Men at Arms, Samuel Vimes earned thirty-eight dollars a month as a Captain of the Watch, plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots, the sort that would last years and years, cost fifty dollars. This was beyond his pocket and the most he could hope for was an affordable pair of boots costing ten dollars, which might with luck last a year or so before he would need to resort to makeshift cardboard insoles so as to prolong the moment of shelling out another ten dollars.
Therefore over a period of ten years, he might have paid out a hundred dollars on boots, twice as much as the man who could afford fifty dollars upfront ten years before. And he would still have wet feet. "

I got quite into DE shaving a few years ago, bought and sold many a razor and went through a fair number of brushes. The one I like the most though for minimum faff is a simple Omega boar brush. It's quite soft now as the hairs have split, it's about ten years old,, but still firmer than a lot of badger brushes. It does take quite a while to break in , but they are very well made imo and so really great value. Not as luxurious as one of the big silvertips though

I’ll second the Arko soap. Cheap as chips on eBay and a really nice shave, I have a stick of this in my travel bag.

I've used a traditional razor for about 3 years, after getting hacked off with constant shaving rash for 20 years and paying a fortune for Gillette shareholders to squander cash on private jets...

Treated myself to a razor, brush and soap from Taylor's of bond Street and it was a revelation in terms of the soap, but disappointed with the razor.
It was then that I discovered it's a minefield of blade angle, aggressiveness, handle length - then it comes to blades which can be aggressively sharp, or 'smoother' and all that depends on skin and beard type.
Jeeeeeez!
So I persevered. Luckily you can buy trial packs, 6 different blades in a pack type thing, to try out a range to see what suits. I also bought a razor that was 'suited' to my face and ended up with a Muhle Vivo razor and astra platinum blades.
I also ditched the Taylor's soap and went for a traditional tallow based soap from Stirling and an arko stick for the travel bag

Never had such a smooth and pleasant shave, genuinely enjoy shaving now! It's a bit of me time.

I have used a Frank brush for seven or eight years. Made in China, so not silly money for what you get.

Beware buying too cheaply.

“The Sam Vimes "Boots" Theory of Economic Injustice runs thus:
At the time of Men at Arms, Samuel Vimes earned thirty-eight dollars a month as a Captain of the Watch, plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots, the sort that would last years and years, cost fifty dollars. This was beyond his pocket and the most he could hope for was an affordable pair of boots costing ten dollars, which might with luck last a year or so before he would need to resort to makeshift cardboard insoles so as to prolong the moment of shelling out another ten dollars.
Therefore over a period of ten years, he might have paid out a hundred dollars on boots, twice as much as the man who could afford fifty dollars upfront ten years before. And he would still have wet feet. "
Ah I do love the Discworld series.
He was a favourite, as was Corporal Carrot.

I like when he swaps his posh boots with some of the cardboard ones so he can tell where he is by the feel of the cobbles.
Always thought he was an excellent policeman.

I have an electric razor thingy. Much easier lol

Latest posts

Back