Shaving brushes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll admit I haven’t read all the posts so if this has been suggested already, sorry!

Have you tried Etsy? There’s likely to be a wood turner somewhere who makes them (or even a whole shaving kit) as you might have guessed from my user name a avatar I don’t have much experience in shaving foam (I’ve not seen my chin for over 10 years) but I am a wood turner (currently latheless) it might be worth having a peek.

Proraso always seen to make decent shaving kit at a reasonable price, I regularly use their pre-shave lotion, shave cream and post-shave balm with an Edwin Jagger DE razor and Astra platinum blades but not tried one of their brushes yet. As a cheap as chips option I bought one of these to keep in the caravan CINEEN 3 In 1 Shaving Brush Kit Hair Shaving Brush + Arcylic Razor Stand + Shaving Soap Bowl Shaving Cleaning Tool: Amazon.co.uk: Beauty
It is really soft and not fallen apart yet but it obviously doesn't get used as much as the one at home.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I didn't realise it was such a complicated subject! I've decided to do more research, especially as I'm tempted to go down the 'double edged traditional blade type of thing' route that I remember my Grandad using. In the meantime, lots of good suggestions above for a brush that should last me a while. athumb..

Thanks for all the replies folks, I didn't realise it was such a complicated subject! I've decided to do more research, especially as I'm tempted to go down the 'double edged traditional blade type of thing' route that I remember my Grandad using. In the meantime, lots of good suggestions above for a brush that should last me a while. athumb..
When I was looking for a razor these 2 were the ones that were constantly recommended
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZVZPU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ckBzFbYKAB3J6https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K6Z24SK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6lBzFbF6J9ARDI went for the Edwin Jagger because some of the reviews of the Muhle said that the chrome plating came away. At the time the were around the same price but now the Edwin Jagger is about half the price of the Muhle. I really like it and bought the exact same razor again when I got a caravan to keep in there . I also buy Astra platinum blades in bulk from ebay, think I normally get 100 for about £10-£15 and they last me years athumb..

Try shaving oil. If you want a neatly trimmed beard it's great because you can see where you are shaving. It's quick and leaves skin feeling smooth.

https://kingofshaves.com/collection.../advanced-sensitive-shave-oil-refillable-30ml
refills are cheap too.
Funnily enough, I tried King of Shaves oil years ago when it first became available in the UK. Didn't work for my super sensitive skin, just got really bad burn. Just to put this into context; my facial skin is wimpier than a wimp in a wimp factory. My cycling helmet irritates it. Cold wind irritates it. A passing moth irritates it. So, the failure of the oil was more down to my face rather than any fault in the product. :laugh8:

I have a Merker DE safety razor which you can dial in the amount of blade going from a fine to aggressive shave, Ive got a travel Badger brush from Taylors which is really great, I know the outlays can be a bit much but I've been using this set up for a number of years so I feel its been worth it. Use it on my bonce also, now I'm less hirsute these days ! Use Executive Shaving Cream which is a revelation!

Feel a bit of a fraud posting this as I stopped shaving during lockdown, but prior to that, a double edge razor, Proraso shaving cream (Amazon), a badger shaving brush and a Proraso after-shave moisturiser gave me the best shave ever. I actually miss shaving a bit and may have to remove the beard.

Back